carter AFB

-

mopardart72

I'm a pretty big deal
Reaction score
where can i get a rebuild kit for one? and is it safe to take it apart and sand it down and repaint it to make it look pretty again?

I just bought one at NAPA. I just took the carb # in. Mine was $35. I don't know about sanding but carb cleaner and aerosol spray does about the best job. I used a couple tooth brushes and a brass brush the size of a tooth brush.

I got my last AFB kit at Carquest. The new needle seats were too tall. Took some creative bending on the float arms and a little trimming on the slosh baffle in the bowl to get the float working correctly.

Oh, I used a wire brush on a Dremel Tool for the linkage. Wear safety glasses cause the wires will fly out and hit you in the face. I don't know if all AFB's are magnesium instead of aluminum like the new ones. That's where the gold colored glow comes from.

Attachments

• 100_5744.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 199
  • 100_5750.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 259
  • 100_5751.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 223
sweet cuz carter makes some really good carbs and i dont have the money for a new carb mines a nasty grey i jsut want the main outside painted

heres the carb but time has worn on her so shes not pretty any more lol

Attachments

• Big_CARTER AFB.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 198
edelbrock makes alot of the rebuild parts for these now, I have a later model carter AFB I believe its a 9536? I got the rebuild kit for a edelbrock, they say 1401 or so is the same for mine but you may have to talk to them about yours

I have the same carb and have a lot of the line caped off like the one on the top near the fuel inlet. How about the vacume advance is off the bottom left side looking from the front. Any other lines I should be concerned with. Thanks Ted

That carb would clean up easy. The old unpolished carbs like mine soak up the gunk.

I have the same carb and just did a rebuild on it. The kit I bought at O'Reilly and Wagner makes it, very complete except for the floats. I brushed mine with the carb cleaner NAPA sells in a one gallon can. The small parts I could soak in the little basket that is provided. AFB stands for Aluminum Four Barrel, so it should be made of aluminum? Any way mine cleaned up like new.

John B.

-
Back