Carter BBD 2bbl HEAT Problems

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
On the 67 Cuda with the basically stock 273 and the Carter BBD 2, I have a problem with gas temps......Hard starting when hot, sometimes boiling the gas.........

I'm gonna insulate the lines today and I know it will help, BUT......what I want to know is this....... Until I block the heat risers and move to a manual choke (which will cut down on the carb temp somewhat), will doubling or tripling the standard gasket help to insulate this carb?

Years back, there were at least 2 different types of gaskets for the 2bbl's.......Black fiber (basically cardboard), and a brown bakelite of some sort.....similar to some of the phenolic spacers we use on the 4BBL's, but just a gasket. I cannot find these anymore, and I'm pretty sure they cut down on float temps especially when doubled...........But will the cheap fiber gaskets do the same?

I've searched high and low for a phenolic spacer, but no go......I can't seem to find blanks either so I can cut my own.......

Any info? Input?

You are on the right track, insulate. The spacer would get you some gains, but the whole engine bay gets heat soaked after shutdown. Try a heat shield under the carb, just something like the fiber gasket material to start. On my slant, the spacer didn't do a whole lot, but the heat shield worked. I was even getting some hard start boiling on really hot days after I did the fuel line mod.

I thought the 6pack carbs were the wide pattern 2bbls, I suppose you could get the phenolic spacer and cut/drill it for the carter small base... but I'm just guessing

For your information.......If you have a Slant Six with the BBD, or a 273/318 with the same, the correct phenolic spacer is the same as the STROMBERG WW and the ROCHESTER 2G..........

I had "68rrman" on Ebay run the dimensions for me.......He has them available on Ebay. :walk::hello2:

-
Back