Carter BBD help

-

Rustmaan

Reaction score
I recently purchased a super 6 intake and carter bbd as a set and started to take the carb apart however it is completely seized and I can’t seem to get it apart, which brings me to my question has anyone ever used one of these Amazon carbs ( https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DDCM84B/?tag=fabo03-20 ) and if so how was your experience? That or does someone have a Carter BBD that is good to go they are willing to sell?

I'd get the slant 6 version.

Nope. Here's the title to the ad.

Carburetor BBD High Top Carter Style For Dodge 273 318 340 360 8 CYL 1972 to 1985 - (158)​

Ahh welp then Amazon does not have a replacement for a slant 6
I would maybe endeavor to get the one you have apart. What's seized on it that it won't come apart?

I would maybe endeavor to get the one you have apart. What's seized on it that it won't come apart?
I’ve got it in Berryman right now, but the vacuum plunger is stuck, the vacuum plunger appears to have the ears snapped off from what looks to be a previous repair, and there is an actual wasps nest inside of the carb

I’m still going to rebuild this one if I can, however It would be nice to have one ready to go if this one doesn’t go back together

I’ve got it in Berryman right now, but the vacuum plunger is stuck, the vacuum plunger appears to have the ears snapped off from what looks to be a previous repair, and there is an actual wasps nest inside of the carb
Nice. lol

i've used the amazon hong kong phooey BBD's with success. in fact i put one on a super six set up about a year ago and it's been performing just fine and dandy.

the old stuff is good, but if it's borked and you can't fix it those things will work just fine.

i've used the amazon hong kong phooey BBD's with success. in fact i put one on a super six set up about a year ago and it's been performing just fine and dandy.

the old stuff is good, but if it's borked and you can't fix it those things will work just fine.
It wasn't too fat? That would be my concern. There's no way in hades they can be right for a slant 6 to a 360. Ain't happenin.

I’m still going to rebuild this one if I can, however It would be nice to have one ready to go if this one doesn’t go back together
How about photos of your carb? I have a small pile of BBD's that might match up. Some are for parts if you need but I think a couple are OK.

It wasn't too fat? That would be my concern. There's no way in hades they can be right for a slant 6 to a 360. Ain't happenin.
honestly, i couldn't say. i didn't check the jet sizes when i inspected it, and it wasn't fuming out the shop when i set it up. road test seemed fine-- no untoward stumbling or bumbling, idled fine and revved out fine.

guy took it on a local TT and ran great, and then did a 500mi round trip to a TT with it, driving it from home and back the whole way.

i'll check the plugs when i see it again this weekend and can throw an update, but by all accounts? *shrugs*

honestly, i couldn't say. i didn't check the jet sizes when i inspected it, and it wasn't fuming out the shop when i set it up. road test seemed fine-- no untoward stumbling or bumbling, idled fine and revved out fine.

guy took it on a local TT and ran great, and then did a 500mi round trip to a TT with it, driving it from home and back the whole way.

i'll check the plugs when i see it again this weekend and can throw an update, but by all accounts? *shrugs*
Maybe it'll be ok. I guess if it's jetted "in the middle" for all that it might work.

Maybe it'll be ok. I guess if it's jetted "in the middle" for all that it might work.
yeah, my guess is that's where it's at. not optimal, but a great compromise in this situation where wildly different terrain, temps, elevation and driving style all come into play.

is there room for improvement, sure. but for hundy to get back on the road and rolling you can't really complain.

yeah, my guess is that's where it's at. not optimal, but a great compromise in this situation where wildly different terrain, temps, elevation and driving style all come into play.

is there room for improvement, sure. but for hundy to get back on the road and rolling you can't really complain.
Not to mention originals are tough to find. I wonder if the rods and jets from his original will swap into the new one? Or if it even would need it.

How about photos of your carb? I have a small pile of BBD's that might match up. Some are for parts if you need but I think a couple are OK.
I’ve got it soaking in Berryman right now, I’ll send you pictures either tomorrow morning or after work tomorrow whenever I decide to pull it out

i used a china BBD i made sure i got the correct style
which for me was accelerator pump through bowl top pre 1973 one
not the tin plate topped one

but as all i could get was a 318 one and i don't have a 318 i pulled my wornout old carb apart and swapped

jets rods spring weights and balls
and the bowel vent cover disc and its wierd little spring clip that lifts that cover when the accelerator pump does full travel this was missing from the chinese carb

i also used an orginal gasket for under it and replaced the aquarium "air brick" style pipe used on the vacuum choke pull off with some decent grade vacuum pipe

benefits
new carb base without a massive air leak at the throttle shafts

the rest of it was ok but i think it benefited from Carters better QA wheen itcame to jet and rod diameters i.e the parts swapped across

the chinese carbs are modeled more after the 80s jeep style in as much as some parts are nylon that would have been some kind of metal in the old versions i.e clips that hold things in place inside

no problem with that nylon is tough and self lubricating to a certain extent and doesn't corrode into its surroundings

you might want your orginal float i didn't bother but worth keeping on the shelf

Dave

Let your old one soak, and be prepared to scrub till your fingers are sore than tear down inspect clean everything use compressed air and carb spray etc. Dont rush it will be alot of sc rubbing and a carb kit. Main thing as I understabd with BBD is the 2 check balls, and throttle shaft wear so bad that you ahve a vacuum leak but as I understand it you can swap the base from the Jine ease carb.

I have a "collection" of BBDs I need to find new home for. If it was in a plastic bag, it probably had been cleaned, kit and run. All should be complete and move freely. I all them cores! These are from 10-25 years ago SO I have no idea what all. I also have some 2 bbl air cleaners some from 62 and 64 cars/ I did place a FOR SALE add other day on these, BUT seems all slant stuff quickly is flooded over there with other stuff.

I bought 1 of the AMAZON BBD carbs and it has been on MY car for almost 4 years now and I haven't ha any problems with it .I pulled it out of the box put it on My Duster and haven't touched it sense.

I bought 1 of the AMAZON BBD carbs and it has been on MY car for almost 4 years now and I haven't ha any problems with it .I pulled it out of the box put it on My Duster and haven't touched it sense.
I have run several of the VChina BBDs with NO issues also . I also have guys say they are fine unless you need to in. Don't know don't care. Some people want the real deal Mopar carb/ I have a few.

-
Back