Carter stripkit

-
The reason is because they are gettin THAT hard to find. I have my doubts about the online store really havin that first one in stock. If they do, you better jump all the hell over it.

Educate me here....are the AFB carb jets and rods different than Edelbrock carb jets and rods? I googled the part number on the ad and all the sites were for AFB.....300plus for an AFB strip kit????????

Seems as the first series of strip kit was named 10-102 for the AFB Carter,
and the second series wich was introduced in 1977 was named 10-201.
"The Carburator shop" does charge $400 for the first series 10-102, guess the seller on e-bay didn´t do the reading properly.:dontknow:

Educate me here....are the AFB carb jets and rods different than Edelbrock carb jets and rods? I googled the part number on the ad and all the sites were for AFB.....300plus for an AFB strip kit????????
The caps for the metering rods looks different on a Carter carb compared to an Eddy, wich also leads to different jets (taller).

On a AVS, the rod covers are taller for a 3 step rod. The AFB gas a 2 step rod. IDK what Edelbrock did for there Thunder series carb, a AFB/AVS hybred.

The caps for the metering rods looks different on a Carter carb compared to an Eddy, wich also leads to different jets (taller).

Edelbrock performer carbs are almost identical to the Carter AFB, and the metering rods, jets, and springs are basically the same.

I have edelbrock metering rods, primary jets, and step up springs in the Carter 9605 (600 manual choke) on my Challenger, works just fine. :-D Carter did offer some different diameter options for the metering rods that you can't get from Edelbrock, but the Edelbrock selection is plenty adequate.

........R u looking 4 a certain jet size or rods, both perhaps...........i have a kit, but not really wanting 2 sell the whole kit..................kim........

Edelbrock performer carbs are almost identical to the Carter AFB, and the metering rods, jets, and springs are basically the same.

I have edelbrock metering rods, primary jets, and step up springs in the Carter 9605 (600 manual choke) on my Challenger, works just fine. :-D Carter did offer some different diameter options for the metering rods that you can't get from Edelbrock, but the Edelbrock selection is plenty adequate.

agree....as i have both kits...one for the old carter 9626 and one for the eddy 1406...

i have used the carter metering rods in the eddy 1406.

OK next question, I had heard that you could modify AFB rods to work in a Thermoquad??

Yes. I have done it before. The AFB rods will need to be put into a vice with smooth jaws as so not to damage the rods middle and lower halfs. Once set in, you'll need to make both rods equal in length at 3/4 of an inch shorter.

Remove the excess with dykes. Take your time in doing this. You may screw up a pair or two since bending the rod isn't exactly something I can detail on how to do over the net. Just clamp the vice on the rod very tightly so it doesn't move or wiggle around or slide causeing problems.

........R u looking 4 a certain jet size or rods, both perhaps...........i have a kit, but not really wanting 2 sell the whole kit..................kim........
Thanks Kim. I´m looking for the whole set, not sure yet which rods and jets I need. I want to tinker with the carb to find the best solution. I bought a Carter 4299 last summer, but it might be too small for my slightly buillt 383 engine.
Thanks Lenny

On a AVS, the rod covers are taller for a 3 step rod. The AFB gas a 2 step rod. IDK what Edelbrock did for there Thunder series carb, a AFB/AVS hybred.
I´ve got three step rods with the taller rod covers, the carb is a Carter 4299 S

Match the rods togther and make a note on where the bend is.

-
Back