Carter Thermoquad model 9801

-

oldjunk

Reaction score
Considering buying a Carter Thermoquad 9801 w/electric choke. I have the stock '72 340 motor in my car with a performance cam, x heads and headers. These are the only known modifications to the motor. Would this carb work well with my set up or am I just wasting my money?

Getting to know a TQ takes a little effort in the learnig curve. You will have to make sure everything is adjusted and set up correctly. Tuning parts are hard to find though not impossible.

Depending on the cam inside the engine, the carb may be OK. The TQ you have is a stock replacement carb. The primaries are small, so you may feel a lack of throttle response (In power terms, not driveabilty) over what you have now.

I have one on my 400, which is otherwise dead stock (1978 unit) except the Holley street Dominator intake and the Headman headers.

I don't know where your getting your carb, I might suggest this guy. He has 150,000 carbs in stock. I had a lengthy conversation with him about the 9801 specifically, he sells them for I think he said 375.00, he guarantees it to run flawlessly out of the box. Very knowledgeable about TQ's and he also makes parts for them right down to the metering rods. Give him a call and see what you think. I may purchase one next year.

http://www.thecarburetorshop.com/Carbshop_carbs.htm

-
Back