Central Florida (Tampa area)

-

dave225

Reaction score
Hello, anyone in the area? It is a great time to get the car out and enjoy the weather. Anyone going to the Lakeland Autofest in February or the NSRA show in April?

Who does the cruise nights in the Clearwater to Spring Hill area?

Checkers in Palm Harbor used to do a (Friday I think) cruise night. Last time I caught up with somebody when I was down that way, I think they mentioned another location. I thought I heard of a cruise night at Hardees in Weeki Wachee too.

Hello, anyone in the area? It is a great time to get the car out and enjoy the weather. Anyone going to the Lakeland Autofest in February or the NSRA show in April?

Not real big on cruise nights, too much ego for me I would rather be relaxing elsewhere

Not real big on cruise nights, too much ego for me I would rather be relaxing elsewhere

I haven't had any issues at cruise nights, I do not go to car shows though. Trying to win a $10 trophy seems ridiculous to me. We go boating for some relaxing!

The attitude of current "car guys" is not what it was in the 80's or 90's. We used to get together, hang out and work on cars. Go out to dinner (cruise nights) and spend time with like minded people. No one seems to do that much anymore.

I dont mind talking about the hobby when people ask and rarely ever do I talk money unless it's about buying and selling. There are a lot of nice Mopars in Central Florida but not too many that were home built. By the way I'm closer to Daytona.

There are a lot of nice Mopars in Central Florida but not too many that were home built. By the way I'm closer to Daytona.
So where do the old Mopar heads hang? Most I've found are guys with new stuff that bolt stuff on. Boring. I'm in Deland. BTW my junk was cobled together in my shop. Come on over!

So where do the old Mopar heads hang? Most I've found are guys with new stuff that bolt stuff on. Boring. I'm in Deland. BTW my junk was cobled together in my shop. Come on over!

Wish you were closer, I m on the other side of the state.

I'm in Spring Hill. There is a show at Hardees every Thursday. They get there early and leave early. Biff Burger used to have one down in Pinellas Park, used to go there in the 80's and 90's. and as one said the Checkers in Palm Harbor. Don't know if they still have it. It was never a good turn out. I can meet up one of these night's I don't have my car. It's getting painted down in Hudson. Then I get to put it back together.

I used to Go to the Dog House in Dunedin & Biff Burger on occasion late 80s early 90s. Sometimes cruised over to Carrollwood. Skipped a few years, then hit Checkers P.H. Semi regular.
Miss the days of hanging out later and enjoying cars and people. Now everybody’s gone come sunset. Car club I belong to now seems to mostly talk about upcoming shows. Guys don’t get together and help with each other‘s cars, and/or it’s a lot of newer cars with bolt one.

I used to Go to the Dog House in Dunedin & Biff Burger on occasion late 80s early 90s. Sometimes cruised over to Carrollwood. Skipped a few years, then hit Checkers P.H. Semi regular.
Miss the days of hanging out later and enjoying cars and people. Now everybody’s gone come sunset. Car club I belong to now seems to mostly talk about upcoming shows. Guys don’t get together and help with each other‘s cars, and/or it’s a lot of newer cars with bolt one.
Yep, you are going back a long time. I used to go to the Dog House as well.
I had a '70 purple Charger. And on occasion we would even drive to Tampa they would have one at the Steak and Shake. And a real good turn out at the Burger King on Dale Mabry. Man where have all the good times gone.:(

Long time ago. I’m trying to remember a purple charger, Were you in West Coast Mopar’s? I didn’t know much of anybody from down that way, mostly Dog House. Did you know Alan and Cheryl (Orange Challenger), Ken and Mary, (Gold Sport Satellite) Ken and Jill (Blue Fury convertible or Green Challenger) Cal (Yellow Dart) Jerry (Red Dart) Rod & Ruth (Blue GTX). That’s about all I can stretch out of my brain. I had the same Green Dart I have now. It was definitely the most ”driver” car out of that whole bunch, though Cal raced his, Gandy & legit @ Desoto) but it was still a much better looking car than mine. I was a kid with little money. I think I still am. Quite a few Mopar’s though for a small cruise joint.(Dog House)

Long time ago. I’m trying to remember a purple charger, Were you in West Coast Mopar’s? I didn’t know much of anybody from down that way, mostly Dog House. Did you know Alan and Cheryl (Orange Challenger), Ken and Mary, (Gold Sport Satellite) Ken and Jill (Blue Fury convertible or Green Challenger) Cal (Yellow Dart) Jerry (Red Dart) Rod & Ruth (Blue GTX). That’s about all I can stretch out of my brain. I had the same Green Dart I have now. It was definitely the most ”driver” car out of that whole bunch, though Cal raced his, Gandy & legit @ Desoto) but it was still a much better looking car than mine. I was a kid with little money. I think I still am. Quite a few Mopar’s though for a small cruise joint.(Dog House)
Wow, Yeah I knew Ken & Jill. Met Alan with the Convt. Challenger a couple times. Dale used to bring his Yellow Superbird every so often. Definitely cool times. :thumbsup:

I'm in Spring Hill also. We have a cruise night at Hardees on Thursdays. Some good people, But we need more younger people that aren't in their seventies. They all run home at dark, because they can't see at night, There's a smaller get together on Tuesday behind the Red Lobster. Also, there's a Crystal river cruise in at the Wendy's on rt19

i sold my Duster to a guy in Deland around 2012. I wonder what he ever did with it.

Colors? Engine? I might know it.
The guy was around 74 back then and drove a new mustang cobra of some sort. Had a whole collection of cars. Also lived in Pennsylvania, winteredin deland.
20160508_075845.jpg
20160508_075905.jpg

The Plant City cruise night can be pretty spectacular.

Sometimes hard to find a parking spot.

Typical 40/40/20 mix- chevy/ford/other including Mopar, but lots of nice cars nonetheless and usually good variety month to month.

The Lakeland show/swap can be pretty big.

They have two and one is usually quite a bit larger.

This is the former Zepherhills event held by Carlisle.

Sometimes they have themes or auto related celebrities.

Last year I bought a wheel balancer!

It's at a regional airport, and sometimes they have airplane or helicopter rides.
A couple years ago it was a Huey or Huey Cobra. Your choice!

Last edited:
The Plant City cruise night can be pretty spectacular.

Sometimes hard to find a parking spot.

Typical 40/40/20 mix- chevy/ford/other including Mopar, but lots of nice cars nonetheless and usually good variety month to month.
I'm going to check that out. The only others I know of are on my old neighborhood. Steak and shake on n. Dale mabry and citrus park dr. Back on the day we would go to gandy or off Hanley rd for fun. Still some very lonely straight roads out here for test and tune.......

I live just outside of Cape Coral, used to have a cruise night at a big shopping center parking lot called Crossroads. Couple hundred cars in snowbird season. Not so much this time going on. And a small one at a burger joint called Fosters Grill on Pine Island rd. On Wednesdays. Maybe 20 cars.

-
Back