Ceramic coating rust

-

bill paynter

67 Cuda
Reaction score
Have any of you had problems with rust comming through or surface rust on your ceramic coated headers( outside only coated).
I was getting ready to replace my intake and and carb and noticed a thin layer of rust comming through one of the header tubes. I'm a little mad because, they've been on the car less then a year.

any thoughts???

The ceramic coating will drastically slow down the corrosion, but wont stop it. If the car isnt driven daily, and/or left where condensation can develop from temperature changes (especially the lower sections of pipe, not tucked into the engine bay), they will rust thru the coating. Uncoated headers on my truck (outside 24/7 in CT, driven every weekend) are still fine after 7 years. visually rusty, but no holes, or bad scaling. Same with the uncoated headers on my cuda (inside heated storage, driven a few times a year). But several cars I've worked with, stored outside, driven in summer only, the coated headers are speckled with rust. It's the same rust, but much more visible because of the smooth silver finish.

i just noticed my brand new (aug 2005) TTI's are rusting on the top. I haven't even got the car on the road yet!

-
Back