Changing out radiator support

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
I just bought a 65 upper and lower radiator support that i want to put on my 64 dart so as to give me a wider radiator opening. I also need to mod the lower support to as to drop my radiator a touch. Has anyone done a radiator support swap, and how hard is it? Any tips? the one i bought has all the spot welds drilled out, so is it a matter of finding my 64s spot welds, removing the support, and then welding the new one in strait and squire?Thanks

I have. It could of been done a lot better than I did. If you can get a spot weld cutter that's the best way to do it.

I took one out of a 65 Cuda and put in my 64 Valiant.

Lee

Yeah, i was thinking a spot weld cutting bit would be helpful. The 65 support i bought is already out of the car, i just need to remove mine.

Yeah, i was thinking a spot weld cutting bit would be helpful. The 65 support i bought is already out of the car, i just need to remove mine.

Because the core support has the vin imprinted in it it is illegal to change it out in Washington State

I now that the vin in newer cars is stamped in the core, but are they in these early A's?

Lee

I dont think so, but ill give it a look see. Really though, i dont think its that big a deal to switch it out as far as the law, what if you were in an accident and had to replace it?

Not sure why you are going through all the hassle?
You sholud be able to go from the 19" to 22" radiator without changing anything.A 22" radiator is more than enough for any aplication.

I now that the vin in newer cars is stamped in the core, but are they in these early A's?

Lee

on my 66 that # isnt the vin but the other # they use before issuing a vin. cant remember what they call it now. it gets covered with a sticker anyhow. aint big bro great? cant even change parts on your own car. when i had my car stripped i found the vin # stamped inside near the lr wheel housing behind the trim. my 2 cents

Not sure why you are going through all the hassle?
You sholud be able to go from the 19" to 22" radiator without changing anything.A 22" radiator is more than enough for any aplication.

I was looking at the 64 rad support and realized id have to modify it alot in order for it open up enough to fit my 97 jeep grand cherokee radiator i bought. Using the 66 support, i only have to trim it open a little. The 64 rad support would look very butchered if i cut it open that much, the 66 support will only looked a touch widened to the trained eye.

I was looking at the 64 rad support and realized id have to modify it alot in order for it open up enough to fit my 97 jeep grand cherokee radiator i bought. Using the 66 support, i only have to trim it open a little. The 64 rad support would look very butchered if i cut it open that much, the 66 support will only looked a touch widened to the trained eye.

I didnt know you are trying to install a Jeep radiator.
My point is they made 2 A-body radiators.One was a 19" and one was a 22" extra cooling A/C radiator.The 22" is a direct bolt in with out any trimming/motification of the car.

I didnt know you are trying to install a Jeep radiator.
My point is they made 2 A-body radiators.One was a 19" and one was a 22" extra cooling A/C radiator.The 22" is a direct bolt in with out any trimming/motification of the car.

Sorry, yes, im using a jeep cherokee radiator becuase it matches the inlets/oulets on the 5.7 truck hemi. i think itll look more "factory" then a custom made radiator, and im going for a "what if Ma Mopar did this swap" kinda look in my enginebay. Also the rad opening on the 66 rad support i bought (22"opening) only needs a little trimming to make it look good.

-
Back