Charcoal canister line routing.

-

rymor92

Reaction score
I have a 73 scamp 318. Previous owner put on a Holley 600 carb and just left the charcoal canister lines off. All that is Hooke up is the line coming from the tank. Where would I hook up my line from the canister since the Holley carb doesn’t have the bowl vent? I imagine I only need to hook up one line to car somewhere and block off third on canister.

does the top of your canister have writing molded into the plastic. My 72 does but mine has 4 nipples where yours only has 3 right? The writing was below each nipple and defined its purpose.

from the 73 manual

Screenshot 2024-03-21 at 7.06.25 PM.png

I don't know but that's why I posted the diagram to help figure out what each one does. Didn't the 71's get plumbed to the PCV valve or something? Maybe it was the vent line that got plumbed to the PCV. The important thing is the tank vent. Maybe cap the other two?

I don't know but that's why I posted the diagram to help figure out what each one does. Didn't the 71's get plumbed to the PCV valve or something? Maybe it was the vent line that got plumbed to the PCV. The important thing is the tank vent. Maybe cap the other two?
If I can’t figure it out I’ll just leave it as is unless it smells like gas too much. Then I’ll have to figure out where one line goes.

Didn't the 71's get plumbed to the PCV valve or something? Maybe it was the vent line that got plumbed to the PCV. The important thing is the tank vent. Maybe cap the other two?
The PVC was always to the carb up front. The vent line wasn’t plumbed to the PVC unless the carb was changed out where the suggestion of using a “T” to be used to connect them was in the carbs instructions. I agree with capping the others IF there is a gas smell issue.
If I can’t figure it out I’ll just leave it as is unless it smells like gas too much. Then I’ll have to figure out where one line goes.
Cap the canisters open tubes. This way the other line(s) have vacuum on them and operate as normal. This should prevent a heavy gas smell.

Yes I understand that but I don’t have a factory carb anymore so with out those hook ups where is the best option to put the line in or t into.
The Holley float bowl vents stick straight up out of the carburetor body and vent directly into the air cleaner. If you want to do it correctly, put a nipple on the air cleaner base and attach the charcoal canister connection that would go to the float bowl vent there. Although it will "somewhat" work, the only way it will work 100% is if you use a different carburetor with a dedicated bowl vent off to the side. Otherwise most of the vapors will simply escape the air cleaner. The Thermoquad has one such dedicated float bowl vent. You "COULD" attach a Y hose to each float bowl vent on the Holley, drill a hole in the base plate of the air cleaner, put a grommet in it to seal it, run the hose through there and to the charcoal canister. Then you would have it working correctly.

His carb doesn't have a PCV valve

shoot. I just reread his original comment... his carb doesn't have the vent bowl port
I didn't know if I missed it not having a PCV. That's why I asked. As much as I miss, you never know. lol

-
Back