Chassis dolly

-
Reaction score
Who here has built a rolling chassis dolly like they do on graveyard cars? I wanna build one for my 69 dart and need some ideas/guidance. Thanks gents

Honestly buy one already done unless you love the challenge.
With steel costs what they are today, I bought mine new and it worked excellent. I own a welding shop and I could not buy the steel for what I paid for a middle of the road one.
The ones on TV are super heavy duty and possibly as costly as $10k up to $20k each or more because they are designed for car after car after car.

Also try racingjunk.com
I believe that is the site.
All sorts of car stuff on there. I see rotisseries on there and hydraulic tables as well. Worth the time.

If i can dig some pics and specs i did one once out of 3/16 4" square tubing and 1 3/4" x .120 DOM. Every 12" it had 2" long coupler nuts on the inside rail for 5/8" thread. Also had 6 legs with 1000lbs steel casters, and 5/8" threaded jacking legs. Later on i added removable 1/2" thick steel flat tops with 5/8" holes on 2" centers.

Back in 2017 I had about $550 - $700 in materials. Adding the table tops added substantial cost. Had 7 - 6' sections laser cut to the tune of around $1200.

Again this was over 7 years ago.

I've had automated searches for "rotisserie" on Craigslist and Facebook for a few years. I recently lucked out with what the young kids would call a unicorn. An ad came up on cl in central CT under 2 hours from me with crappy pictures, not much of a description, for $500. Went and scooped it up quickly. Guy even gave me brand new wheels and tires (real wheels with bearings) so I didn't even haggle on price.
This thing is a beast and although not a frame machine, it certainly could hold a car in place in multiple spots to enable accurate frame work.
Here are some pics of it along with a sample pic I found online with it set up.
I guess what I'm saying is you never know what you'll find for sale used.

20240712_183736.jpg

20240712_183750.jpg

20240712_183810.jpg

20240712_183934.jpg

ezgif-4-d2602bd1ba.jpg

-
Back