checking rear end housing straightness

-

Rapid Robert

Reaction score
7&1/4 in the stock car that wrecked (came down on another car). I want to add some 4:10's but I will get another one to work with if this one is bad. how do I check the housing for straightness? Your thoughts please. thank you for your time. RR

If the axle is out of the vehicle, put it on a pair of jack stands on a level garage floor. Mark the tubes at three evenly spaced intervals and measure at from the bottom of the tubes to the floor. Use another jack stand to hold the center section at the pinion and rotate the center section 90 degrees and repeat. If you need a slightly heavier duty replacement with much better parts availability, find a 7.5 inch axle out of a ford ranger.

OK so I measure the tubes 3 intervals on each side ? with the pinion nose down toward the floor then raise it 90 degrees to horizontle & repeat?

As man, ford guys don't even recommend a 7.5" rear axle to their enemies. LOL

They are pretty delicate.

As man, ford guys don't even recommend a 7.5" rear axle to their enemies. LOL

They are pretty delicate.
Like the 7-1/4, the spiders are the weak link. But, being a dirt circle track car, use a mini spool in it, and 4.56 gears are available. I can't imagine it being weaker than the 7-1/4 axle with welded spiders...

with the axels and the sg pin out run a STRAIGHT bar in one side through the center and out the other tube then see how far off each tube is off , if your axels will go in or out easily it's probally good enough .

If your reared is complete and out it is very easy. Put tires on it and run a tape measure across the tread ( like checking toe ) rotate the housing 1 complete turn and watch your tape. Best if you have a helper. You may have to put the tires on top of blocks for clearance of pinion, brake lines and so forth. This is how we did all our rearends, even welding on the housing can warp it.

excellent info/help & very much appreciated. I know what I need to do now. I do have some 4:11 gears. where do I source a mini spool? We did go with welded spiders & no issue but I'd like to be proactive. RR

No mini spool that I'm aware of for a 7-1/4 of any type...

Oh I misunderstood I was thinking that there was one for the 7&1/4. You were talking I'm assuming about the Furd one. I will weld the hell out of the spiders. Garrett you have enlightened me tremendously on this issue & I very much appreciate your time/help. RR

Oh I misunderstood I was thinking that there was one for the 7&1/4. You were talking I'm assuming about the Furd one. I will weld the hell out of the spiders. Garrett you have enlightened me tremendously on this issue & I very much appreciate your time/help. RR
Lincoln Locker. You got it, buddy.

actually I Googled it & it came up with some good utube vids on prepping the spiders before you weld em, mainly getting em clean/dry. RR

-
Back