Chewed Up Axel Splines

-

domdart

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I just switched to 5 x 4.5 bolt pattern with some Dr Diff axels. The splines on one of the old axels are chewed up. The rear end came out of a 72 Duster 340 with an open 3:23. Two years ago I put a 3:55 sure grip in it. Should I be worried about the 3:55 sure grip chunk? I still have the open 3:23 and the splines are good as new.
IMG_2020.JPG

Other than all that metal being in the housing I'm sure your good to go!:lol:

There is something bad going on there I would pull it and do some checking and cleaning

I would pull it and take a look, at least clean out the chips.

Forty-nine years of "not so gentle" use- not overly surprising, but not good. I'd be concerned (as you are) about what it may have done/is doing to the sure grip chunk. Take it out and clean it up, as others have said; then test the new axle's splines in the center section. Make sure there's no rotational slop in the splines, and that they fit reasonably snugly. If all is good, go for it. New seals, lube and additive.

..Should I be worried about the 3:55 sure grip chunk?...
Yep, I would.
If you have loose chips in that housing you really need to get 'em out. Chips may be imbedded in matting splines and could possibly damage your new axle. Worse yet, if a large enough remnant gets pulled into the gearing and locks it up at speed, it could put you in a bad way. Not saying that will happen, but you don't know if you don't check.

Looks like someone forced the axles in when the side gears and cones were misaligned.

I pulled the chunk. It had some small chips in the splines, but they look good as new. I can feel some fine grit on the ring with my finger. There was nothing in the puddle left in the case. I think it is ok. Should I try cleaning it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner?
IMG_2021.JPG

Every SG axles i have ever seen, show a definite dual wear patterns. Yours may be a little bit worse can’t tell by the picture. This is why you can spot a OEM A body open diff axle a mile away. The splines are in much better shape.

I pulled the chunk. It had some small chips in the splines, but they look good as new. I can feel some fine grit on the ring with my finger. There was nothing in the puddle left in the case. I think it is ok. Should I try cleaning it with carb cleaner or brake cleaner? View attachment 1715713012

Carb cleaner eats paint, brake clean won’t...

-
Back