Choosing the right exhaust help needed.

-

Frodee

Off center a bit
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
20200117_181259.jpg
Running TTI headers and trying to find a good set of mufflers that are not real loud and pipes dumping out in front of the rear tires. Suggestions and some pictures of your set up sure would help. Thanks in advance.

Pictures and video at the track. The reason for the tailpipes was if I got pulled over the exhaust sounded and felt like it was coming out the rear. Pulled over twice and it worked. Also followed and left go. It was not that loud unless you twisted it . Mufflers were modified nascar bullit. Video and pictures of the Duster

The gold Demon was TTI 3 inch and was louder with flowmasters. He is coming up this week end . I see if I can get a video of the Demon

Steve 055.JPG

Steve 059.JPG

Steve 060.JPG

Steve 051.JPG

20180106_143834.jpg

20180106_143914.jpg

20180106_164338.jpg

Pictures and video at the track. The reason for the tailpipes was if I got pulled over the exhaust sounded and felt like it was coming out the rear. Pulled over twice and it worked. Also followed and left go. It was not that loud unless you twisted it . Mufflers were modified nascar bullit. Video and pictures of the Duster

The gold Demon was TTI 3 inch and was louder with flowmasters. He is coming up this week end . I see if I can get a video of the Demon

View attachment 1715477192

View attachment 1715477193

View attachment 1715477194

View attachment 1715477195

View attachment 1715477197

View attachment 1715477198

View attachment 1715477199

Nice run you did would like to be there at the track.
Great set up I didn't think 3" pipe would go through the back.

View attachment 1715477187 Running TTI headers and trying to find a good set of mufflers that are not real loud and pipes dumping out in front of the rear tires. Suggestions and some pictures of your set up sure would help. Thanks in advance.

I did exactly that with 2.5 inch pipe and Flowmaster 40's.
Probably Borla would have been a better choice of muffler because it is kinda loud for daily driving.

One of our local Mopar group has his turned down in front of the axle, and every dirty road or parking lot he kicks up all kinds of dust and crap all over everyone else's cars.

Probably Borla would have been a better choice of muffler because it is kinda loud for daily driving.

One of our local Mopar group has his turned down in front of the axle, and every dirty road or parking lot he kicks up all kinds of dust and crap all over everyone else's cars.
Good point was thinking of doing mine down but just changed my mind.
I'll check out Borla. Thanks

Why do you want to dump it in front of the axle. I wouldn't recommend that for a lot of reasons. Run it to the back.

I run 3" with Borla XR-1 mufflers.

Good point was thinking of doing mine down but just changed my mind.
I'll check out Borla. Thanks

One other thing.
Dumping under the car causes the reverberation from the exhaust to bounce off the road and come back up to the floor and is way louder inside the car.
One of the guys was complaining about how loud it was inside the car and I pointed out a metal grating in the street with a drainage ditch under it downtown and told him to drive over it slow and notice what happened to his exhaust sound.
As soon as he crossed the grating the exhaust sounds inside the car dropped off drastically.
(There was no pavement for the reverberation to bounce back off of.)

On my car I exited in front of the tires, went under the subframe and turned up close to the body with a baloney cut on the ends.
No road reverb but a bit louder with my windows down since it's right there.
This pic was a couple of years ago after I built the 2.5 inch X and out the sides.
It was a cold start idle so the steam is burning off condensation.

siderunning.JPG

Why do you want to dump it in front of the axle. I wouldn't recommend that for a lot of reasons. Run it to the back.

I run 3" with Borla XR-1 mufflers.
Didn't think I had enough room to run 3" out the back so hell yea it will be out the back.
How loud are your Borla XR-1's

Yeah I had that problem. I didn't drive down many dirt roads with those tires. They told me to park on the runway at this show. so it had its good points. Kept me off the wet grass.

spoiler pics 660.jpg

I had a duster years back and did the cheap out the side exhaust. Blew the motor going into third gear with a 4 spd. and oiled the tires. That was an experience I never want to relive. found a picture of it

019.jpg

Tailpipes act like pretty darn good mufflers. So when running a dump system, the car is going to be a lot louder regardless of the mufflers. I'd highly recommend basalt packed mufflers.

View attachment 1715477187 Running TTI headers and trying to find a good set of mufflers that are not real loud and pipes dumping out in front of the rear tires. Suggestions and some pictures of your set up sure would help. Thanks in advance.

The longer the muffler the quieter it will be.
Check flow rates if possible. straight through glass pack like units flow the best. And like the mention of tail pipes said.....

I bought the TTI pipe kit, back in 1999,for my 68 Barracuda WITH springs moved inboard with the offset kit.
The kit included Dynomax 3 pass; 3 in/3 out muffs and, over the axle and out the back tailpipes with just right turndowns. Still "plenty" of room to thread the pipes thru there.
No boom, no drone, cruises at 65=2240 in overdrive. Only loud when WOT, and is a pleasant loud to all who have been polled.
Friggen 36 pounds of mufflers tho, and another 36 in the full length dual 3s.

BTW: I put no clamps on my stuff, it's all slip fit. The tailpipes are indexed to the mufflers with a long nail dropped in from the top. After the joints soot up, it all stays in place. I use WD40 to penetrate the "seal" when it comes time to drop it the system. The hangers are just tight enough to clamp, but not enough to deform. Leaving about a foot of pipe bolted onto the collectors,it takes a couple of minutes to drop that whole thing. But
---------- seventy two pounds---------------

straight through glass pack like units flow the best.
The problem with traditional 'glass packs' is that there is only so much glass fiber you can pack in that skinny tube. Then the heat burns it off and they get insanely loud. Using a welded case muffler like the Pypes Race Pro, Magnaflow and DynoMax Ultra, there's a lot more space for packing. In the case of the Pypes and Magnaflow units, they are packed with Basalt material. It's like the upgraded carpet underlayment. It's a thick pad that gets ribbon layered in the muffler. That material does not burn up. So the muffler keeps it's sound qualities pretty much permanently. Flow wise, they are straight through design with perforated holes in the inner tube. Perfect for reducing sound in a 'dump' system and perfect for flow.

@Ccas That is exactly what I was thinking about. Thanks for the write up.

I have super old flowmaster 40s with 2.5in header back exhaust. The sound good not to loud but aren't dumping out the front. I may go to flowmaster super 10s or a 3in exhaust in the future.

@Oldmanmopar that tti setup out the rear looks good!

FLowmasters tend to sounds great at idle. You have to give them that. Mine gave me too much drone at cruise speeds and sounded caustic under heavy or WOT throttle.

Pypes race pro is the way I will go looks to me like a good way to go And Ccas the vendor on here is giving me a discount for being on FABO and a good guy helping me out.

-
Back