Chrysler 400

-

Dusty1970

Reaction score
Hello, I have a 1970 Plymouth duster with a 400 Chrysler out of a 1973 satellite. My question is this; my engine shows temperatures of around 235° on the sensor located in the water pump. I have a in-tube sensor on the output hose of the radiator near the thermostat. It shows about 190 at the same time, which is the same as my thermostat. When I shoot the block with a heat gun. I showed it to be around 200. Where is the right temp?! The radiator exterior shoots at 188 at the same time.

Thanks

0136F80A-8955-4BC2-83BE-C6349F818740.jpeg

On who’s gauges? Aftermarket gauges?
FWIW, I have 2 automated gauges that read 20* difference.

What is nice about your post is that you gave info with your heat gun. At the thermostat and at the radiator. The temps are low enough at the other spots that I would not worry about it. Even more so since the temp of the thermostat is very close to the other temps found. That says to me it is working and the block is only a few degrees warmer. Which that temp needs to work it’s way up to the thermostat.

I’d say your good. And the high temp spot could be an air bubble, bad sensor.....

On who’s gauges? Aftermarket gauges?
FWIW, I have 2 automated gauges that read 20* difference.

What is nice about your post is that you gave info with your heat gun. At the thermostat and at the radiator. The temps are low enough at the other spots that I would not worry about it. Even more so since the temp of the thermostat is very close to the other temps found. That says to me it is working and the block is only a few degrees warmer. Which that temp needs to work it’s way up to the thermostat.

I’d say your good. And the high temp spot could be an air bubble, bad sensor.....
Thank you

The sensors are aftermarket and gauges as well.

There should be a temperature difference across the radiator since that is the whole point of having a radiator. The radiator cools the water so the outlet temperature should be colder than the inlet temperature. If your water is 235 going in and 190 coming out then your radiator is working.

The correct temperature will be what's coming out of the engine at the thermostat housing.

After rereading your OP, I think your good to go. It's hot in Texas and if you have a overheat problem I'm sure it would show up real fast. If it's not boiling over when you shut it off I don't see a problem. If the temp comes right back down after a hot soak when you restart it your cooling system is working for sure.

After rereading your OP, I think your good to go. It's hot in Texas and if you have a overheat problem I'm sure it would show up real fast. If it's not boiling over when you shut it off I don't see a problem. If the temp comes right back down after a hot soak when you restart it your cooling system is working for sure.

So yesterday for the first time ever it over filled to radiator overflow after I killed it. Soon as I started it, it cooled back to about 200 in the garage with the AC running. The rad capn is 13 lb.

Not sure why it spiked like that. It was 102 outside.

AA9E4C03-66A2-4563-B9C1-414BB028892C.jpeg

So yesterday for the first time ever it over filled to radiator overflow after I killed it. Soon as I started it, it cooled back to about 200 in the garage with the AC running. The rad capn is 13 lb.

Not sure why it spiked like that. It was 102 outside.

View attachment 1715381129
Sounds like ur good to go to me !--------Nice car !

Hello, I have a 1970 Plymouth duster with a 400 Chrysler out of a 1973 satellite. My question is this; my engine shows temperatures of around 235° on the sensor located in the water pump. I have a in-tube sensor on the output hose of the radiator near the thermostat. It shows about 190 at the same time, which is the same as my thermostat. When I shoot the block with a heat gun. I showed it to be around 200. Where is the right temp?! The radiator exterior shoots at 188 at the same time.

Thanks

View attachment 1715380527
sounds to me like ur rad. is working .

DARN nice lookin car. Ship that thing up here.....................

Continued question on this topic and vehicle.

400 in the duster with elec fan. The fi-tech sensor is in the stock location on the pump housing. I placed an in the hose sensor for the gauge in the dash. The two read about 18 degree different. The one on the hose is the lower read. Which on is correct?!! Why so different?

Continued question on this topic and vehicle.

400 in the duster with elec fan. The fi-tech sensor is in the stock location on the pump housing. I placed an in the hose sensor for the gauge in the dash. The two read about 18 degree different. The one on the hose is the lower read. Which on is correct?!! Why so different?

ELEC FAN -----------------

We are running an astonishingly similar combo accept mine isn't as pretty as yours.
63978235015__0463C95D-3BAA-4840-9AEE-012240E4B9DB.fullsizerender.jpg

63382505959__A33D27D0-324E-4697-B3E2-514ADA6867E2.jpeg

Last edited:
Is it blowing coolant out all over the street? If not you are probably good especially under those conditions. With a 15# cap the coolant won't boil until around 250°.

-
Back