Chrysler Turbine car promos

-

odcics2

Reaction score
Any idea what an un-opened JoHan case (of 6) Chrysler Turbine cars would be worth?
Case is dated December, 1963. Any input welcome. Thanks.

I looked on Ebay, it looks like the cheapest uopened one is like 45 BIN, and the highest one is 108 BIN.

Back in the mid to late 60s I was with my family at a obedience dog show in the San Fernando Valley east of Los Angles. Also at the same park there was a car show. All of a sudden there was a winding up sound of a turbine. A mass of guys, including my dad with me in tow all hurried toward the sound. Turns out one of the cars at the show was a turbine powered car and it was the highlight of the show to see and hear it. Not sure if it was the one referenced above but it was cool and a fond memory.

I've actually built a few of those on my days . great kits. I would start out at around 200.00

Yep i built a JoHan chrysler turbine kit. Nice model, lots of detail. I would love to build another one.

Yes Turbine bronse was the only color. One was used however i believe one was used in a 1964 move called the "lively set". It was repainted white and had a number painted on the side. My dad saw one once back in the day going down the highway. Said it sounded like a vacuum cleaner going down the road.

Ghia of Italy who built many of chryslers show cars at that time, handled the low volume production building the finished and wired bodies, and interiors. Everything was done there sans driveline. The cars came shipped inside large crates. Only thing chrysler had to do was install the drivetrains, suspensions, axles, and wheels. I believe it was 2 bodies delivered every 2 weeks. 50 cars in all total were built. Not sure whats left. Either 3 or 6. Jay Leno has the only one in working condition.

Last edited:
Awesome piece of history, however since they were experimental when the project was over, chrysler pulled the drivetrains and rurbine engines out of them, and had the bodies crushed. I watched an old grainy youtube vid with the cars being uncerimoniously forklifted off the backs of car carriers and stacked up, and being flattened. Chrysler initially tried to get museums to take them. But no museum at that time wanted a "modern" experimental car..a handful were spared, rhe rest were destroyed.

Whats interesting is chrysler was soooo close to offering this design to the public. The 66 charger was going to be the first recipient of this engine as an option when the plug was pulled on the project.

IMG_1254.jpg

Interesting history on Chryslers Turbine cars.

They have one at the Gilmore Care Museum in Michigan.I saw it last June.I also saw the originals running on the track around the Chrysler pavilion in the '64 NY Worlds fair the year before I got my drivers license . They sounded like a jet sitting on the runway warming up.Kind of a whining sound.Very cool cars.

IMG_2659.JPG

IMG_2661.JPG

IMG_2662.JPG

IMG_2663.JPG

Jay may be the only private collector to have one in working condition but the Museum of Transportation here also has on in their collection that they take to different shows. hey also have a couple of spare turbines for the car. Interestingly they also have a turbine powered truck built by Ford in the collection.

TURBINE CAR – 1963 CHRYSLER ARTIFACT

by Renee

on April 4, 2017

in News
jay-leno-visits-museuam-of-transport-st-louis.png

Many consider the 1963 Chrysler Turbine Car the most valuable automobile in the Museum of Transportation’s Collection. Of the fifty-five that were built, only nine remain and of those nine, only three still run. The Museum is proud to own the only operational Chrysler Turbine Car on public exhibit.

April brings two opportunities to learn more about this fantastic car and hear the high-pitched whirl of its engine.

Start Your Engine…

On April 8th, from 11 am – 12 Noon, Mike Eberhardt, Turbine Car Expert, will be in the Earl C. Lindburg Automobile Building to start this rare engine for Museum guests. Mike will be available to answer questions about the Turbine Car. Jay Leno stopped by to see the Chrysler Turbine Car. We hope you do too! Regular Museum Admission applies.

The MOT Chrysler Turbine Car will be on exhibit and started on a regular basis at the 56th Annual Easter Concours d’ Elegance Show presented by the Horseless Carriage Club of Missouri on Sunday, April 16th, from 11:30 am – 4:30 pm, in Forest Park.

Last edited:
Neat cars. I also saw one at the '64 NY world's fair (it was also the year before I got my driver's license.) There was a privately-owned (as far as I know) one near my high school (NW Classen) in Oklahoma City that I saw parked out front of a local home. I remember walking up to it and admiring the body work. It was a great time to be an auto enthusiast. There were so many cool cars coming out of the factories. Not nearly as many as today, of course, but it was the first time that the factories really saw the sales potential of performance cars and began to market them accordingly.

-
Back