Classic Auto Air in 67 Barracuda Factory Non AC

-

loganscuda

This/These
Reaction score
4FC8A0AE-2F21-4D99-99C5-ADBB581E345B.jpeg
Will post as I Go. Wish me luck

Just a tip. Instead of using sheet metal screws to secure the plastic plate covering the heater motor hole where the A/C pipes will now come out, I used threaded rivnuts in the motor firewall holes then used fender type bolts to secure that plate to the firewall.

It looks very factory and there are no additional holes in the firewall.

Also keep in mind that you will not get full travel on the temperature slider on the factory panel with the new A/C, just about 1/2 to 3/4 travel.

Last edited:
3DE75D33-BB14-4C82-A783-F02A27C3011A.jpeg
493684F5-A6D8-4FC9-B447-683303E9B2FE.jpeg
A51649CE-4FB3-4159-A446-E6476AEC2BF4.jpeg
Everything in the box. Neatly packaged. Anyone need a glove box. I can’t use this one my ECM is in the way. First pic is the insulation I got from Detroit muscle.

Hey, why aren't the A/C hoses crimped with the fittings?

That must be a new method as mine came crimped although one compressor rubber hose was way too short and another flex hose to the condensor leaked.

With a bit of massaging you can fit the factory glove box back in with the A/C installed.

Also check the service port Schrader valves for leaks. I had to replace both schraders due to leakage after the system was charged.

Last edited:
Hey, why aren't the A/C hoses crimped with the fittings?

I am using the compressor on the 5.7 and it is mounted in a different location from factory so they sent them uncrimped. I can get the crimper from a friend. I will be picking your brain. Is your car 67 or 69. Did you have problems converting your controls. It looks like the 68and up has more mounting surface.
I don’t know how I managed to put this Reply in your quote.

The Dash vents aren’t as nice as I thought they would be. They do look good but close up seem a bit cheap. I was expecting a vertical up/down adjustment, it’s just left to right. If I had the extra cash I would find the factory vents for looks. Vintage air make a 1 piece with 2 or 3 vents for about $130. I may go with that later. I’ll see after I get them in.

Some dum-dum to seal around the tubes where they come out of that black plate works really well and give it a factory look too.
Did you do a thread on your install. Doing some test fitting of evaporator have not tackled the switches yet. Instructions are kinda vague.

Did you do a thread on your install. Doing some test fitting of evaporator have not tackled the switches yet. Instructions are kinda vague.

No I didn't do a thread and I agree the instructions are very vague. I did have to call the tech line on a couple of occasions. I think the switch modification was one of them. Another FABO member rewrote the installation instructions and sent them to me which did help.

I'll see if I have them with me but I think they are on my home computer but I'm on vacation now for 3 weeks.

Last edited:
1F6BA4BB-448C-49F9-BFFE-4886E385CD48.jpeg
No I didn't do a thread and I agree the instructions are very vague. I did have to call the tech line on a couple of occasions. I think the switch modification was one of them. Another FABO member rewrote the installation instructions and sent them to me which did help.

I'll se if I have them with me but I think they are on my home computer but I'm on vacation now for 3 weeks.
I found who did it thanks. People shooting off fireworks in my neighborhood sucks. Drives my old dog crazy. He’s been in the car with me all evening.

A398A184-EC34-4200-A824-1DF7A999D673.jpeg
C6F3D0A4-564A-4643-97E4-F72AE9F0196E.jpeg
9C70ACD8-8A18-42B4-A89F-9892BFAB9074.jpeg
okay so this has become a help me thread instead a how to. I will post in order when finished.
I am all done under dash with exception of a few wires in I do not know of where they go. Instructions suck. My
1. I have a a/c clutch wire that comes from my ECM that is run under dash already. Does it go to the switch then to the low pressure switch.
2. There are 4 blue wires 2 with female connectors and 2 with male connectors.
Update. The 4 blue wire go to each other 2 males go to 2 females. They are all in the same harness just at opposite ends. When they send the unit they don’t attach the defrost flapper(that’s what I call it) it has the switches and control switch on it.
Almost done under the dash, just need to clean things up. Turned blower on. Was very impressed with airflow.
About 10 hours roughly, 8 hours spent on deciphering instructions.

Last edited:
View attachment 1715556788 View attachment 1715556789 View attachment 1715556790okay so this has become a help me thread instead a how to. I will post in order when finished.
I am all done under dash with exception of a few wires in I do not know of where they go. Instructions suck. My
1. I have a a/c clutch wire that comes from my ECM that is run under dash already. Does it go to the switch then to the low pressure switch.

A lone red wire goes to the compressor to engage the clutch. I think think there is 1 blue wire that goes to the pressure switch.

It’s been a few years but I think that’s them. Double check the wiring diagram in the instructions.

If I was home close to my car (2 hours away) I would check and let you know.

Last edited:
View attachment 1715556788 View attachment 1715556789 View attachment 1715556790okay so this has become a help me thread instead a how to. I will post in order when finished.
May I offer you some advice on this kit? I purchased one of their kits 6 years ago and I have never liked it. These morons used black o-rings on the expansion valve 2 of them and they leaked from day 1. I sent it back to them, they kept it 2 weeks promised it was fixed and they lied, they never ever broke the case apart to fix the leaking o-rings, as it is a PITA. I finally took apart the case and fixed it. Maybe they use green o-rings now. I would check before it's installed and won't hold a vacuum.

B2B6BE06-60F1-4EEC-81E9-4937CAE2F4B9.jpeg
Had to cut my new firewall insulation to get unit to fit. Box cutter will not do it nor dremal but grinder with cutoff wheel does a good job.

272D2828-D877-4F9D-B931-AC2A2008EF1C.jpeg
CE985614-AA01-4690-BDF6-85ED13684D45.jpeg
4550F140-A4B3-4D77-AAE7-D7A1E23B6E34.jpeg
52C5AED1-76FB-4EC1-BB7E-8EA918912FCC.jpeg
4AF86BC0-DA04-4A6F-B6C2-6C71E2D7E66D.jpeg
The heat controls are different for 67 and older. The instructions are useless. The fan switch they sent was mounted to the bracket upside down so had to reverse that. The tab I was supposed to use was broken so I disassembled it and used the other tab. I recommend taking it apart and cleaning and greasing it. Worked smoother.

-
Back