Classic Car Insurance Hagerty vs Grundy

-
When it was time for my to get insurance I called Grundy and was told they don't insure Canadian cars. Ok easy enough. Called Hagerty and was refused when I was honest about possibly drag racing or auto-x the car. Was refused coverage online. I called them and spoke with a guy in Michigan at Hagerty and was told I couldn't be insured at this time due to possible racing. The agent told me on the phone to try again in 6 months and said I'm not racing it.

I gave up with them and called Zehr Insurance in Ontario. After an appraisal it wasn't an issue to insure my 76 Duster with 6.1L Hemi. Was just told that I would not be covered while racing.

Riddler
What’s sad is I marked racing and such on my application for Haggerty and they never so much as blinked. Gonna have to re-read my dec pages to make sure

What’s sad is I marked racing and such on my application for Haggerty and they never so much as blinked. Gonna have to re-read my dec pages to make sure
I called and spoke with a Hagerty Insurance rep. They said racing-autocross is not an issue. The car is covered going to and from the event, while at the event, even in the paddock. The only time it is not covered is while it is on the track actually racing at the event. Still it would be best for you to read and understand your policy.
I have previously contacted most of the classic car insurance carriers mentioned in this thread: Grundy, Taylor, American Modern,,, Hagerty is the only one that allows the car to participate in competition events. For the time the car is on the track in competition, Hagerty sells separate policies for that at many events.

Last edited:
-
Back