Cleaning White Interior

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
I have been trying to clean both white interiors in the '71 Dart and '68 GTX with relatively ok results. Both are original interiors. I have only used a very mild cleaner and water along with a soft horsehair brush. I've gotten the surface dirt off but they are still a little dingy. Someone suggested cutting down the white wall cleaner I used to use years ago but was a little concerned about doing so. The name of it starts with a "W" (perhaps Wesleys) but it is escaping me right now. What products/methods have you all used to clean original interiors (especially white)? TIA.

wesley's bleach white. I agree, thats what I would use. But something on after though. The bleach white tends to dry out the vinyl.

A strong chemical like wesleys or purple power will eat up the sewing thread.
You can't rinse it enough to get that stuff out. The water evaporates and leave full strength corosive chemicals behind.
I wont use anything stronger than the creme type hand cleaner like GoJo or M30 for laundry on seat covers. Works great on leather too.

Thanks Adam. I am wondering how much I should cut it down. I guess I will start off with a weaker ratio and see how it works (changing it if necessary). I know you are recommending a conditioner afterwards. Any suggestions on that? I am sure something like a Meguiars interior conditioner should be just fine. Like the thousands (over-exaggeration) seen here:

http://www.meguiars.com/estore/product_list.cfm?sectionname=Consumer%20(Meguiar's%20Brand)%3ECar%20Interior%20Care%3EAutomotive%20Leather%20Care&sectionID=12201

A strong chemical like wesleys or purple power will eat up the sewing thread.
You can't rinse it enough to get that stuff out. The water evaporates and leave full strength corosive chemicals behind.
I wont use anything stronger than the creme type hand cleaner like GoJo or M30 for laundry on seat covers. Works great on leather too.

Thanks Red. I am familiar with GoJo but not M30 (which I am sure is very similar). I want to try the least abrasive/corrosive products first. If they don't work, I may still try Wesleys (cut way down) and be extremely careful about keeping it away for the threads. Maybe laying some blue tape over them and applying the Wesleys with an applicator pad and/or fine toothbrush as to get close to them but not actually touch them.

I use those Mr. Clean Magic Erasers on the seats in the Barracuda. If you try them, don't buy the regular ones that are thick - they fall apart to easily. You want the thinner ones and make sure you don't grab the ones scented with frebreeze :pale:

interiorsx6.jpg

mrcleannl0.jpg

If your seats are OUT of the car, the best cleaner we have tested and used here is Simple Green.......on a white original interior, it's safe (do NOT use Wesleys full strength.....I wouldn't use it at all......it's a strong caustic).......

If they're out of the car, you can spray it on full strength, and use a fairly aggressive plastic bristle brush in a circular scrubbing motion...........this stuff really cuts the "grime" in that vinyl without hurting it.......Have a hose ready, set on a fine spray pattern.....do one seat section at a time like the back, the base, the frontal back, etc......then hose the stuff off before it begins to dry....hose it while it's WET.........the grime will run off, and your seat is ready for a good grade of vinyl treatment..........

We've been doing these interiors for years and Simple Green is simply the best we've found. If the seats are IN the car, do it the same way, but without the hose......you'll have to have a BIG roll of paper towels on hand and wipe small areas at a time as soon as you scrub....lots more work than doing them OUT of the car...........and they won't be as clean in the seams and threads. 8)

LOL if you want to. I use a multi-surface cleaner on the vinyl making sure that I wipe it dry. I follow with a cheap suntan lotion (w/o alcohol) rubbed until dry.

One of my B-I-L is a PhD research chemist specializing in plastics. I asked about my practice that it wouldn't hurt the vinyl and that possibly the uV protection in the suntan lotion might help. He was the one who steered me away from lotions with alcohol because it does dry out the vinyl.

My sis used to clean mine,so she could drive it. Comet and a scrub brush. When she got done,it would shine,white as snow.

I used the white wall cleaner with great results. Just rinse with a damp rag..
It also works great on your kids white tennis shoes...
Hkeller

-
Back