Clearence issues with right angle oil filter housing on 360

-

440BelII

Reaction score
Went to install the 360 in my Demon tonight. The oil filter that I used is very close to the firewall, so much that you could never change it with the motor in the car.It's a Napa Gold 1515 and I have a right angle oil filter housing on the motor. I'm thinking that I need a filter about half the size of the one that I have. Has anybody ever come across this and what filter are you using?

Thanks j par, I will check into that one and see if it will help.
Of course I got a 90 degree adapter or two I think somewhere but that just seems like another place for it to leak...
I think our local O'Reilly's parts has the 090 also but make them price match Walmart... I tried the crossover wix filter but it's still an extra half inch too long...
I used it on my Dodge truck my wife's Durango and the Stroker motor in the Duster...

090 Mopar at Walmart for$6.27...:thumbsup:..
I agree with this. I've been using the 090 mopar for a long time on all my mopars. I don't use the 90* adaptor, filter goes right to the block. No problem fitting the factory manifolds, or the headers on the Van, Duster, or Truck.

I agree with this. I've been using the 090 mopar for a long time on all my mopars. I don't use the 90* adaptor, filter goes right to the block. No problem fitting the factory manifolds, or the headers on the Van, Duster, or Truck.
Can't remember what it looks like without the adapter. Is there a nipple there or do you need to add one to make it work.

Last edited:
Just turn the dang adapter about 10 degrees to clear and keep running the Napa 1515 filter. I have that on my 340 Demon factory and it works the best. Tiny filters are good like the Ford (forgive my memory)Fram 3600 (maybe 3660) I believe is the same length as the Fram ph8a but smaller diameter. But Napa gold 1515 is a great filter still has a spring inside and anti drain back valve. Smaller is not always better.

There is a boss on the block to line up the adapter to. Once it is installed at the correct spot the adapter fits any car. This adapter was first used with the downswept manifold on early 340's. Then it was needed with some large tube race headers. Some small tube headers the adapter was not needed.

I'm using Hedman headers. I have the oil filter housing pointed directly towards the firewall. Should it be there or pointed down a bit?

I'm using Hedman headers. I have the oil filter housing pointed directly towards the firewall. Should it be there or pointed down a bit?

Move it to where the filter clears and your golden. Mine isn’t in the OEM location because Dodge never sent a car out with 1.875 headers on it.

-
Back