clifford manifold

-

midlifecuda

Reaction score
Any thoughts on clifford man./2 bbl addapter and 350cfm. Thinking of running comp cam w/252 grind,not looking for a road rocket, just better performance. Getting the idea of staying away from rebuilt 2bbl for super six because of threads that having nothing good to say about rebuilt carbs. Also, any real life exp. with either the comp. 252 or 264 mech. cams (complete setups please ex. rear,carb,stall ect)

I ran a 252 on a stock rebuild til it self destructed (not the cams fault). It had little if any improvements over stock. I would go no less than 270. However your BIGGEST improvements are milling the head/deck and os valves, go to 2/1/4 exhaust.
Frank

Getting the idea of staying away from rebuilt 2bbl for super six because of threads that having nothing good to say about rebuilt carbs.

You've reached the wrong conclusion. Like most carbs, BBDs are GREAT when properly rebuilt, just don't buy one rebuilt. It's the assembly-line rebuilders that suck. If you're like me and don't trust your ability to rebuild a carb yourself, you just need to find a REPUTABLE carb builder, find a cheap used BBD on Ebay for a few bucks, and have them rebuild it for you. It won't be cheap, and it's a little more effort, but the same shoddy rebuild quality applies to several old-car parts. I wouldn't buy a rebuilt water pump, master cylinder, or engine, either.

You'll end up paying about the same as you would for a "prebuilt" carb. I'm one of those "bad experiences" with rebuilt BBDs. Bought one online for my super six conversion, already rebuilt because it was easy. It worked, but not very well. Had it rebuilt locally by a great carb shop (getting hard to find), and the engine runs like a top...

Good luck!

I use the super six set up with the 2 barrel BBD, bored 30 over with a mild cam from comp cams and 2 1/2" exhaust. The whole time I had been driving this car for a couple of years I was always thinking, "why do people talk so much about how much better this is, the car is still super slow." Well low and behold I was messing with the throttle cable position at the carb one day and took it for a test run. The engine felt like it came out of a slumber because when I stepped on the pedal it kinda kicked me back in the seat I was VERY surprised in the difference.

I like the aussie stuff but the cliffords on ebay are more affordable...just need some real world experience running the clifford in the two bbl mode. Also running the comp 264 or dc 268 cams.

I guess I could use the clifford adapter but don't the four holes on the offy disrupt the flow?

I guess I could use the clifford adapter but don't the four holes on the offy disrupt the flow?
Yes
The Aussie manifolds are cast for flow for the carb type they will run. ie 2bbl or 4 bbl, etc. So they are "tuned for the carb" not just one size fits all.
Frank

-
Back