Clifford shorties on a 170ci?!

-

vntned

Reaction score
So I just picked up a pair of almost new Clifford shorty headers for only $100!

I was wondering what it would take to make them work on my '64 dart with a 170ci?

Has anyone done this before?!

So, you have the headers and car and engine and you're askin us? Not trying to be a smartass here, but you got everything to find out. I am sure they can be made to fit.

Yeah, good point. Asking for help from somebody with more experience than me is a stupid idea. Thanks for setting me straight RRR!

Not at all. You simply have the answer right in front of you. Kinda hard to beat that, regardless of experience. I think the 198 and 225 is like 1.5" taller than the 170. I don't see that as an impossible mountain to climb.

I think Charrlie_S did a test fit of them over at Slantsix.org and IIRC said they'd need to be modified. Can't remember what the mods were. Maybe drop him a PM here - has the same user name as over at .org

sent from my iphone

The rear three pipes are good as is. The front section needs to be modified. The front collector hits the steering box. What I do is cut the #1 and #3 pipe. Then cut a "V" notch in the #2 pipe. Heat the pipes and bend it upward untill the collector clears the steering box. Then heat and bend the #1 and #2 pipes, untill the cut ends line up, and reweld. I will have to go measure where I make the cut. Two other things to watch for, is the #1 pipe hitting on the rib at the back of the water pump. If it hits, just grind some clearance on the rib. Also make sure the header flange does not hit the boss at the top of the block, by #1 cyl near the t-stat. If it does, just grind the header flange till it clears.

Awesome! That's just the expertise I was looking for! Thanks Charlie! Any pictures or measurements would be greatly appreciated!

I'm kinda tech challenged. I haven't learned how to take pictures, load them into the computer, find them and send them out to somewhere.. The measurement is not real critical, but I will measure mine on Sunday, and post back.
One additional thing, if you have power steering, forget doing what I said. The headers will not clear without MAJOR reworking. I had to modify a set on a 64 Valiant with a 225 to clear the PS box.

-
Back