"clunk" going into reverse

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
I have a loud "clunk"when shifting into reverse in my 67 dart with 273/904. The u-joints are nice and tight, not sure if it is coming from trans, rearend or where. How do I determine what is making the noise, new motor mounts(old style) and tranny mount.

Thanks
Aaron

Would it be something terminal? It's a 7 1/4. Been thinking of doing a disc brake and rear end swap, so I hate to put a lot of money in the old 7 1/4 if I can avoid it.
thanks
aaron

Get under it with trans in N and wheels chocked or park brakes set tight. Use your hands to twist the driveshaft back and forth starting at front and work back to rear end. See if there is any difference in slack. Then put trans in park and see if trans yoke spline has slop. You should be able to tell where slop is coming from. If in rearend then just a matter of time before the BIG CLUNK.

This is something I've always thought all old Mopars do. Every one I've ever owned has. Of course, they were all at least 10 years old or better! Some were louder than others, by they all made some degree of clunk going into reverse. Let me ask the guys here who drive them when they new. Did they clunk right off the showroom floor? I've always been curious myself.

just checked u-joints and they are good and tight. Do have a question on 8 1/4 and brakes. I have an 8 1/4 out of a Volare (unfortunately I was told it won't fit the Dart)would the brakes off of the Volare rear swap onto a a-body 8 1/4, been thinking of doing an 8 1/4 swap may start thinking little harder on it, and start hunting for one.
Thanks
Aaron

This is something I've always thought all old Mopars do. .

Not just old Mopars. This is perfectly normal, "if."

The idle speed might be too high, or the idle mixture improperly adjusted, causing you to have to high idle in order to maintain a decent idle in drive.. Check timing, idle mixture, idle speed, etc

This noise is made worse with an "open" (non Suregrip, or non limited slip rear) because not only must the drivetrain remove slack in the ring and pinion, but the spider gears as well.

"clunk" going into reverse

Then only use forward gears....

I have owned countless Chrysler products over the last 40 years and the "clunk" is quite common for the 7 1/4 rear. I have driven them thousands of miles doing that and only had one fail due to over stressing it, lol. :D

It's probably worn and will probably be fine until you can get the swap done.

Not just old Mopars. This is perfectly normal, "if."

The idle speed might be too high, or the idle mixture improperly adjusted, causing you to have to high idle in order to maintain a decent idle in drive.. Check timing, idle mixture, idle speed, etc

This noise is made worse with an "open" (non Suregrip, or non limited slip rear) because not only must the drivetrain remove slack in the ring and pinion, but the spider gears as well.

All great points! The Mopar clunk is just more distinctive, just like our starters! ;)

Well, he said he did. Although some will check them with the car in park, which can exert enough pressure on them to make them appear good.

...............The rear band in the trans may need adjusted..........when they get loose they slam into reverse,..................kim........

When you have it in the air take the drive shaft off then try it, also check u=joints with drive shaft off. The machine shop here balanced mine and put onenew u=joint in for 20 bucks, I thought that was really cheap.

-
Back