Cluster. Make your own Custom Gauge cluster

-

Dodge73Dart

1973 Dodge Dart Sport restoration
Reaction score
I see where you cut out the old gauge face. How much of a lip did you leave for the new inlay to glue to? It sets in from the front, or the rear of the panel?

I see where you cut out the old gauge face. How much of a lip did you leave for the new inlay to glue to? It sets in from the front, or the rear of the panel?
Sets in the front. I left about 1/4” Had to trim a little more in gauge areas but can do that later. I used epoxy. I also painted the old cluster frame before assembly.

Nice job yours looks a lot like mine.
'71 Scamp - Road racer

I made a pattern in AutoCAD and used it to lay the cluster out on 1/8" aluminum. I changed all the lamps out for LEDs and added LEDs for turn signals and bright indicator. I built it about 10 years ago, a few years before the stroke and before LEDs became so common. I cut up an old dash harness (from my 73/318, 4 dr. donor car, K-Frame, etc.) to get the connectors, so mine plugs in like the original. The map lights and fresh air vents are Aircraft equipment and the fuse box is Marine, the relays are automotive.
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG
IMG_1301.JPG
IMG_1304.JPG
IMG_1305.JPG
IMG_1306.JPG
IMG_1309.JPG
IMG_1312.JPG
IMG_1313.JPG

Hey is there any chance you have a link to those LEDs for your signal and Brights indicators? And how bright are they?
The LED market is a lot different than it was 10 years ago. Very few, if any, vehicles had LEDs. I actually purchased the LEDs, dropping resistors and chrome bezels separately. I'm an Electrical Engineer and former Navy Electronics Tech. so putting it all together wasn't an issue for me. I just did a quick search and found this site. Vehicle LED Lights | Super Bright LEDs. The site is different than I remember, but you should find something to work almost as "plug and play". I'm sorry that I can't be more help. Good luck.

Well, I have a spare bezel, so got everything on order do this hopefully this weekend. Considering vinyl wrapping the plexi before I epoxy it in- either black or red 4D carbon.

Well, I have a spare bezel, so got everything on order do this hopefully this weekend. Considering vinyl wrapping the plexi before I epoxy it in- either black or red 4D carbon.
Post some pics when you have it done. Since matching up the speedo cable was going to be an issue and the fact that I wanted to keep the firewall clean as possible, I opted for a GPS speedo.

Same here. I have the dash out of the car, so I might make a recess so its sits flush between the defrost vents and try and hide it. I don't know the size of the GPS "Antenna" yet, so that is going to make a difference.

I bought a couple of led lights and wire them into the dash harness.
You should be able to easily find a wiring diagram to help in this.

-
Back