Clutch and Flywheel?

-

Rakers_SS

Reaction score
Hello everyone! Well, my slant six has given me enough problems and is worn beyond belief so I've decided to start my 360 swap rather than keep dumping money into the slant in hopes that it'll be reliable someday. Does anyone have any suggestions for a clutch and flywheel? I have a 3 speed manual, and already have the bell housing with 3/4 speed bolt patterns. I'm not planning any big power from the start, just a warmed over stock 360 for now to get it back on the road.

Thanks for the help! :)

What year? The early 3 speeds were pretty weak. The 70's 3 speeds (not too common) are stronger but shouldn't be abused. A 833-4 spped is what you need behind a 360 unless you drive it like a Grandma. The rear end is a 7 1/4 and another weak link in the chain.

If the trans has a top cover,
or an unsynchronized first gear,
do not use it behind a V8, never mind a 360..
360s were born with big torque, and it's the torque that splits those gears. Those top-loaders make good bench grinders, or put a small lathe head on the input and drive her on the output end. You got yourself a 3-speed something or other,lol.

Hang on; you could put it behind a 360 with a SS 2bbl and retarded timing with a slow curve. Make sure you also use the slanty exhaust system. And no drag-strip starts. Headers are out as well.

What year? The early 3 speeds were pretty weak. The 70's 3 speeds (not too common) are stronger but shouldn't be abused. A 833-4 spped is what you need behind a 360 unless you drive it like a Grandma. The rear end is a 7 1/4 and another weak link in the chain.
It's a 1971, 3 speed on the floor. Rear has already been upgrade to an 8 3/4 so thankfully that is taken care of. Really just want to use the three speed to get it driving, a 4 speed will be in the works just gotta stay smart with the spending :). I figure since the 3 speed (A230) came behind everything up to a 383 it should last a while, I'm not planning any drag strip days with it, really just want to cruise around town and enjoy the car.

Hang on; you could put it behind a 360 with a SS 2bbl and retarded timing with a slow curve. Make sure you also use the slanty exhaust system. And no drag-strip starts. Headers are out as well.
Thanks for the discouragement lol

It's a 1971, 3 speed on the floor. Rear has already been upgrade to an 8 3/4 so thankfully that is taken care of. Really just want to use the three speed to get it driving, a 4 speed will be in the works just gotta stay smart with the spending :). I figure since the 3 speed (A230) came behind everything up to a 383 it should last a while, I'm not planning any drag strip days with it, really just want to cruise around town and enjoy the car.
Good to know. You should be good to go.

Thanks for the discouragement lol
That was in regards to the top-loaders. If you have ever seen the guts in one of those then you would know how puny they are; I used to rebuild manual transmissions for a living,lol.
Had you said A230 in the first place , I would have said that they can take anything a 340 can dish out so, will shrug off anything that a lo-perf 360 can muster.
Sorry I ruffled your feathers,lol.

Then again, if I had scrolled down a lil, I would have seen your sig, where it says "71 Plymouth Duster"
and so I shouldda known better; my apologies for being a plick.

Are you installing an LA 360, or a 5.9 Magnum? This was posted in the Magnum Engine Swap forum, and just wanted to clarify before you get the wrong answer about a flywheel. Balance between an LA 360 flywheel and a 5.9 Magnum flywheel is way different, so you shouldn't use a 5.9 flywheel on an LA 360, or vice versa. Which ever one you need, get the 130 tooth flywheel for a 10.5 inch clutch. Good luck with your swap. :)

Are you installing an LA 360, or a 5.9 Magnum? This was posted in the Magnum Engine Swap forum, and just wanted to clarify before you get the wrong answer about a flywheel. Balance between an LA 360 flywheel and a 5.9 Magnum flywheel is way different, so you shouldn't use a 5.9 flywheel on an LA 360, or vice versa. Which ever one you need, get the 130 tooth flywheel for a 10.5 inch clutch. Good luck with your swap. :)
Good catch.

That was in regards to the top-loaders. If you have ever seen the guts in one of those then you would know how puny they are; I used to rebuild manual transmissions for a living,lol.
Had you said A230 in the first place , I would have said that they can take anything a 340 can dish out so, will shrug off anything that a lo-perf 360 can muster.
Sorry I ruffled your feathers,lol.

Then again, if I had scrolled down a lil, I would have seen your sig, where it says "71 Plymouth Duster"
and so I shouldda known better; my apologies for being a plick.
haha no worries man, just joking around. I appreciate the advice! I forgot there are two three speeds...

It will be a 5.9 magnum, good catch! any recommended vendors?

For a flywheel look at Mcloed ones with the bolt on weight.
For the clutch look at Ram muscle car series, it is easy engagement, and grips good.

It will be a 5.9 magnum, good catch! any recommended vendors?
I guess a Hayes or McCloud (SP?) would be a decent choice. If you're gonna run the factory fuel injection and wiring harness, be sure to get one that has the trigger slots in the flywheel. I'm pretty sure they make them with and without slots for the crank trigger stuff. If you plan to strictly run a carb, just get one for a 5.9 Magnum motor, 93-01. If you plan to run the factory fuel injection, you will need to cut a slot into the bellhousing you use to mate to your A230. Just a hole saw and a hacksaw, and 15 minutes of life! LOL

I guess a Hayes or McCloud (SP?) would be a decent choice. If you're gonna run the factory fuel injection and wiring harness, be sure to get one that has the trigger slots in the flywheel. I'm pretty sure they make them with and without slots for the crank trigger stuff. If you plan to strictly run a carb, just get one for a 5.9 Magnum motor, 93-01. If you plan to run the factory fuel injection, you will need to cut a slot into the bellhousing you use to mate to your A230. Just a hole saw and a hacksaw, and 15 minutes of life! LOL
Appreciate it! ahh the hole saw and hacksaw always coming through! I'll be running a carb so should make things somewhat easier thankfully. Thanks!

haha no worries man, just joking around. I appreciate the advice! I forgot there are two three speeds...
I remember 3 of them at least
The; A903,A745,and A230 and
I think another between A 903 and A745 which I cannot recall the code for.
Only the A230 is fully sychronized.

-
Back