Clutch is grinding when pedal pushed to the floor and is sticky when it releases.

-

Hp74dusterman

Reaction score
Hey guy's so I put a new clutch in my 74 duster and when pedal is pushed to the floor i can hear a grinding noise. Just trying to figure out if i need to adjust it up or down. Also when I push the clutch and go to release it it is want to stick just before it is about to grab then launches wondering if anyone has any ideas thank

Sounds like you may be over adjusted. If it's a 3 finger B&B clutch cover you may be driving the back sides of the fingers into the disc springs.........
upload_2021-6-20_13-10-53.png

OEM is a 3 finger Borg and Beck. Then there is the 18 finger diaphragm style.

Most of the time when your hear grinding at the bottom of the throw, the adjuster is too far in and should be backed off some. There should only be a little bit of tension on the adjuster shaft at the fork. As the clutch wears, you adjust to add that tension back in.

Just shooting off the hip here. Symptoms make me think the throw out bearing is getting pushed too far forward when you push the clutch pedal, so adjust push rod accordingly. Then, very lightly apply grease to the shaft the throw out bearing rides on, the two points where the clutch fork rides on at the throw out bearing, and the pivot point of the fork at the bell housing. Also, inspect all the clutch related linkages for any interference with other things. You'll need a helper.

OEM is a 3 finger Borg and Beck. Then there is the 18 finger diaphragm style.

Most of the time when your hear grinding at the bottom of the throw, the adjuster is too far in and should be backed off some. There should only be a little bit of tension on the adjuster shaft at the fork. As the clutch wears, you adjust to add that tension back in.
I am running a diaphragm one where would a person get a Borg and beck I tried and couldn't find one

Your diaphragm clutch sticking when your first release the pedal is another sign that you have too much plate departure gap. Only need .030 or so for a diaphragm clutch.

Nothing inherently wrong with a diaphragm clutch, and no need to replace it with Borg and Beck. In fact, the lower pedal pressure of a diaphragm makes it desirable for the street. You do need to get rid of the factory assist spring under the dash. Either eliminate it or replace it with a lighter spring (which is what I did).

-
Back