Clutch pedal and Z bar help

-

CB-BIGGREEN

'74 Duster
Reaction score
Okay so heres the problem. I've installed a new dual friction centerforce clutch and pressure plate with a new throw out bearing and my clutch pedal is about 3in down in travel from where it should be. The same way it was when I bought the car, it came with a parts store brand clutch and pressure plate. Also when engaging the clutch pedal I notice the Z bar has "play in it". I figure my plastic inserts may be worn out that go on the ball end, but it looks like I need another spring to go from the bell housing side of the Z bar to the frame some where. Does this sound right? I think I saw the same set up on my fathers 68 Z28 but I dont know if the mopar needs this. Also I have a lakewood bellhousing. I put everything back together the way It was. Thank you!!!

-Tyson

If the Z bar has slop, it needs rebuilt.
Make sure the Z bar goes square over to the bell, modify if nessary.
bungie your clutch pedal up, sounds like you`ll need to modify the zbar link to fork. A spring goes from the fork to the bell, lakewood maynot provide an attachment point?
Hope this helps

Bungee the clutch pedal up? That doesnt sound like a good solution. The z bar is square. I'm going to order the rebuild kit from yearone. Even if the clutch is bungee'd up it still isnt going to change when the clutch engages. I have removed the over the center spring.

I had a problem like this and it turned out the clutch fork was to long and had the throw out bearing all out of wack. From the pivot point to the throw out bearing was to long.Fixed that and all is fine. I though all forks were the same bad wrong.

Sounds to me like your clutch fork pivot is wrong. I had the same problem after installing a Quick Time bell. Had to fab up a spacer to move the fork closer to the clutch disc.
My bet is you have the same problem.

Thanks for all of the help. Yes its supposed to go to the bellhousing but lakewood didnt think to put a spring attachment on it. I'm going to check my fork. What length did you end up using?

Also in my clutch linkage the rod ends have elongated holes. Is this normal? All of the ford stuff that I've worked with have round holes and rubber bushings. Sorry but this is my first mopar and I'm redoing things that have been previously done. Just want to get it right.

Another thing that would throw you off would be the height of the throw out bearing. Diaphragm clutches typically need a longer bearing than a Long or Borg/Beck style pressure plate (but if you bought as a kit it "should" have been matched). Just a thought there. Your linkage should have round holes, you could be losing the 3" of pedal travel just in worn linkage/sloppy z-bar, maybe even worn bushings in clutch pedal.

Another thing that would throw you off would be the height of the throw out bearing. Diaphragm clutches typically need a longer bearing than a Long or Borg/Beck style pressure plate (but if you bought as a kit it "should" have been matched). Just a thought there. Your linkage should have round holes, you could be losing the 3" of pedal travel just in worn linkage/sloppy z-bar, maybe even worn bushings in clutch pedal.
BS

Also in my clutch linkage the rod ends have elongated holes. Is this normal? All of the ford stuff that I've worked with have round holes and rubber bushings. Sorry but this is my first mopar and I'm redoing things that have been previously done. Just want to get it right.
Yes, it`s normal.
http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=AK448

Thanks Mopar Head! You've been a lot of help. I order my new stuff from year one... should be here in a week or two hahaha. I just want to get this back on the road. Its been over a year. Getting married really drains a mans finances.

-
Back