Clutch Pedal Assembly Questions

-

67dartGTconvertible

Reaction score
I have a HD clutch pedal assembly off of a 76 Duster. The car it was on swapped in an automatic transmission so in use the clutch pedal was tied up out of the way and the spring removed. I bought the assembly with no spring. I took it apart, cleaned it up including sand blasting and repainting, black oxiding the hardware, getting the bearings to work and reassembled just as I got it.

IMG_1698.jpg

IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1701 (1).jpg

Now that it is back together things seem off. To be fair they were just as off before I took it apart. I say seem because I never handled one of these before. The car it is going in was a slant 6 auto. I can only find earlier HD and non HD clutch pedal assembly pictures to compare it to and not enough angles to be sure of all that much.

Possible issues:

The metal frame may be bent or damaged where the one part of the clutch pedal arm swings past it. It was either meant to be a stop or for the pedal arm to swing past it. Mine looks like the arm bent it to pass it. The arm currently passes by it without actually touching. I am not sure if this matters or not.

IMG_1704.jpg

IMG_1706.jpg

No spring. HD clutch pedal spring are not at all easy to find and are not being reproduced as far as I can find. Can I use a spring for a standard clutch pedal assembly? Those are reproduced. I believe I read that certain clutches require the removal of the spring. Can someone tell me more about that? I can't find where I read that.

The safety switch. Is the bracket bent? It does not line up where the swing of a pedal arm would hit the button set anywhere along the mounting slot. I know I don't need it but do I want it and can I tie it into my 67 dart harness? Where should the pedal arm hit the button?

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1702.jpg

It had the remnants of a little rubber bumper that fit into an oval hole right near where the clutch pedal arm almost hits the frame. What is that piece called and does where can I get a replacement?

1711047792911.png

Please tell me anything else you see in these pictures that I did not ask about. Thank you for any help.

Here are few pics of a set I have here. I believe they are 1975. First off, the switch you show is a brake light switch....And, I see no safety switch.

If you need any other close ups, let me know.....

IMG_0017.JPG

IMG_0018.JPG

IMG_0019.JPG

IMG_0020.JPG

IMG_0021.JPG

IMG_0022.JPG

Yes, your brake switch bracket is bent. Just bend it back to line up with the pedal. It does look like the clutch pedal was bent as well. That tab should contact the rubber bumper (that yours is missing). Thats your stop and without the rubber its going to be noisy when you release the pedal.
The over center spring should be the same for standard or HD pedal assembly. Im not positive but I see no reason why it would be different. I think the rule is you dont need it if your using a diaphragm style pressure plate.
As far as the clutch switch, good luck finding one. They are pretty hard to come by.
In your first pic you can clearly see that the lower part of the clutch pedal is bent as well. Both pedal pads should be on the same plane. They are kinda flimsy. I just restored a set and had to bend mine back in shape too. Its possible that it bent where the pivot shaft is welded in. But if the shaft was bent the top would be in and yours is out just like the lower part.

Last edited:
Yes, if both sides are out of place it probably bent right where the shaft is welded to the pedal. Check for cracks in the weld there too.

From what I see you have a late pedal assembly with the impact protection brake pedal. The side assembly added with the clutch pedal came from an early year it will never line up with that brake pedal. These pedal assemblies pictured go from 66 to 73, Yours is later 74 to 76 having the different brake pedal.

100_0042.JPG

100_0043 (2).JPG

Oldman, its his clutch pedal hitting. I dont think there is a problem with the brake pedal.

OK. I just bent the lever piece welded on to my clutch pedal arm so that the side with the tab hits the spot to get the pedal up stop bump and bent the other side of that lever piece to clear the frame. The pedal is still in the same location relative to the brake pedal so other than having to redo the paint on the clutch pedal from all my hammering I think I am good there. I saw no cracks in any welds.

Here is a picture of with the lever on the clutch pedal against the spot to get the pedal up stop bump:

1711059211045.png

Does the clutch pedal look to be sitting at the correct angle relative to the body?

I need to bend the brake pedal light indicator bracket which will be no problem.

After a bit of research it seems that a diaphragm pressure plate will work out well for my application so I do not have to worry about the HD spring.

If no spring, then I do not need the piece that bolts to the main body of the clutch assembly that holds the spring, correct? That is its only purpose?

I did not try to mount this thing in the car b/c the car is in storage right now and I can't get inside it the car (into the interior). I did look in and see that the the surface the four bolts goes into is basically vertical on the firewall. I am holding the assembly like I believe it would mounted in the car (essentially the picture I posted flipped 180 degrees):

1711060228745.png

and that bump stop location seems like it would be at the bottom of the swing of a clutch pedal not the top. What am I missing?

Bump stop is supposed to be when foot off of clutch pedal and clutch pedal extended up toward driver rear ward if you will. So if you push clutch in, take foot off clutch pedal, and pedal snaps back up lever hits up stop bumper so no metal to metal bang sound will occur.

I want to say that I appreciate everyone's time who looked at this.

My clutch pedal assembly may be fine and I may be having a problem understanding how it is to be oriented in the car. The below image is positioned how I think it is mounted in the car. The arrows show in what direction the pedals can swing. In the picture below the tap on the clutch pedal arm is against what I have been told is the clutch pedal up stop bumper location. In this position it looks like it should be a bottom stop to me.

1711068323003.png

The brake pedal can swing both directions but the clutch pedal an only swing up. What am I doing wrong?

Pull clutch pedal out of bracket and reinsert with lever on other side of the brackets stop. Then clutch pedal can be pushed down toward floor and not swing up toward driver.

Looks like bracket needs to be straightened out so once bump stop is put in lever rest square and even on the bump stop rubber pad.

This is how my bracket and up stop bumper looks installed in car. Its a '69 that used to be auto brake pedal with reproduction clutch brake pedals put into auto pedal bracket. But original auto pedal bracket had the hole for the clutch up stop bumper already in it.

PXL_20240322_021924549.MP.jpg

Seems like mismatched parts. My head just exploded.

-
Back