clutch pedal interchangeability

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
Hi gang;I need to know if an early A clutch pedal set will work in my 70 Dart. I found one,but don't know if it will work?

Willing to mod it however it needs...

I don't remember where I found this info, but even A's IN THE SAME YEARS had different clutch linkage. Evidently the /6 and some V8's (318 vs 340??) were different linkage, IE "they ain't all the same."

Might 've been in one of the MP chassis manual?

>>>EDIT<<< Found it. Out of one of the older MP Chassis Manuals

"The clutch linkage on the 1970 A-Body (Duster, Dart) can be changed to aid the high speed shifting of these cars with 340 engines and manual transmissions. This can be done by lengthening the lower arm on the clutch pedal bellcrank 3/4" which will increase the clutch pedal effort slightly but will provide for more plate departure which makes for a better power shift....." ......etc etc...."too much.......hits the fingers....etc."

"A similar problem (not enough plate departure) ..............will exist if 6 cylinder Dart/ Duster clutch linkage is used. When converting a 6 cylinder ...to a V8, the .....linkage from a 71--73 340 or 1974 360 should be used."

ALSO MENTIONED LATER is to be careful of bell housing pivots ---different year cars and different MODEL cars had the bell pivot (and scattershield) in different places which can screw up clutch linkage geometry.

IIRC somewhere on this site, someone gave the interchange as 60-62, 63-66 and IIRC 67-76.

Guys, he's simply trying to find out if the 63-66 will BOLT in to the 67-76 cars. We know they are different. I know first hand that the 67-76 WILL interchange, and I mean bolt RIGHT in and work. So far, yall have muddied the waters and nothing more.

Guys, he's simply trying to find out if the 63-66 will BOLT in to the 67-76 cars. We know they are different. I know first hand that the 67-76 WILL interchange, and I mean bolt RIGHT in and work. So far, yall have muddied the waters and nothing more.

Explain to me how trying to prevent the OP from having problems is "muddied waters"?

SOMEWHERE on this very board, someone like OldmanMopar or Cracked posted photos of the differences in the /6 and 340 pedals

AND THEY ARE NOT "all the same."

There has been other posts concerning mis--matched linkage that doesn't work/ not enough release travel, etc so this is not "mud"

I think the difference in the slant 6 and 318 or non hi po cars such as the 340,383,440 a- bodies had to do with the pedals swinging on nylon bushings as opposed to oillite bronze bushings. But the complete units do interchange from 67-76. As far as will a pre 66 set work in a later model, that I can't answwer.

Explain to me how trying to prevent the OP from having problems is "muddied waters"?

SOMEWHERE on this very board, someone like OldmanMopar or Cracked posted photos of the differences in the /6 and 340 pedals

AND THEY ARE NOT "all the same."

There has been other posts concerning mis--matched linkage that doesn't work/ not enough release travel, etc so this is not "mud"

I never said they were all the same. Obviously, you don't know the answer he's looking for, because plainly you have not done it. As far as the 67-72 and the 73-76 swap, I HAVE done it and I KNOW first hand it works. But that's not what he's asking.

This is right off Big Block Dart.com's tech pages.

"Fortunately, this is one of the easier aspects of this swap. A large percentage of our beloved A-bodies were equipped with the slant-6, Three-on-the-tree combo, making clutch and brake pedal combos one of the easier A-body parts to find. This assembly is a bolt-in swap for an automatic car, as all necessary holes, etc. are already provided from the factory. Also, they remained basically unchanged from 1967-1976. A stiffener plate, (Torque shaft bracket) shown below, is also welded to the outboard driver's side frame rail just behind the front suspension area. This provides a rigid mounting area for the Z-bar pivot ball. As long as you're swiping the clutch/brake pedals, you'll need to grab this plate as well."

Although it does not mention the early A clutch setup, it clearly says "Also, they remained basically unchanged from 1967-1976." Paul is asking about interchangability only. He can work everything else out. He's just trying to find out if anybody has BOLTED in an early clutch pedal assembly in a later A body FROM an early one. He doesn't care about how many degrees the arm swings, how many molecules of steel VS iron, how many atoms make up the damned set or much of a carbon footprint was made forging them. He just wants to know WHAT WILL BOLT IN.

This is right off Big Block Dart.com's tech pages.

"Fortunately, this is one of the easier aspects of this swap. A large percentage of our beloved A-bodies were equipped with the slant-6, Three-on-the-tree combo, making clutch and brake pedal combos one of the easier A-body parts to find. This assembly is a bolt-in swap for an automatic car, as all necessary holes, etc. are already provided from the factory. Also, they remained basically unchanged from 1967-1976. A stiffener plate, (Torque shaft bracket) shown below, is also welded to the outboard driver's side frame rail just behind the front suspension area. This provides a rigid mounting area for the Z-bar pivot ball. As long as you're swiping the clutch/brake pedals, you'll need to grab this plate as well."

Although it does not mention the early A clutch setup, it clearly says "Also, they remained basically unchanged from 1967-1976." Paul is asking about interchangability only. He can work everything else out. He's just trying to find out if anybody has BOLTED in an early clutch pedal assembly in a later A body FROM an early one. He doesn't care about how many degrees the arm swings, how many molecules of steel VS iron, how many atoms make up the damned set or much of a carbon footprint was made forging them. He just wants to know WHAT WILL BOLT IN.

Lol,I cant say it any better,so I wont even try...

But I should clarify something. My skill level is more than enough to mod anything into that Dart,but I'll keep it mopar for the most part.

Does anyone have both units? The early A and the 67 up? Maybe some pictures and measurement's would help.

I just bought the 63-66 peddles off ebay.
Had the late style, guessing 67-73.

It looks like the length of the peddles are the same 12".
The anti slip rubber covers should interchange.
The peddle differences are in the brake peddle shape.

There are a few differences in the peddle housing, mainly in how the return spring is mounted. But the overall length is close to the same 13".

The distance between the two pins on the clutch peddle measure 5 1/4" on the 63-66, while the 67-73 unit measure 5 3/4". I don't know if 1/2" is any thing to worry about.

The 63-66 unit is on the left in the pictures.

Attachments

• need to be sorted 168 (Medium).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 738
  • need to be sorted 169 (Medium).jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 1,010
Wow,forgot about this one...looks like the two are similar enough. Would likely work no problem.

looking at the pics for the 63-66 pedals vs. the 67 up. I just went thru the same thing. I ordered a rebuilt from SMS and received what looks like the 63-66. It would not fit as the pedals were to far apart (may be way pic was taken ?) to work with steering column in my 69 GTS, notice the pedals in the 67 up are close together up top. they reshipped and sent me one that was like what I had, except for the way the return spring was mounted (spring was not covered). My shop manual indicates the V8 assembly is as pictured for the 67 up, it has a heavier return spring with cover and heavier pedal pivot pin (don't know actual terminology)than the one I received which is also shown in shop manual for what I take is a 6 cyl. QUESTION I HAVE WILL IT WORK, everything else appears to be the same, thanks for any advise.

It has been my experience that the 340,383,440 cars had the over center spring guard. But what you have will work. I've ran them both.

-
Back