Clutch return spring on Quicktime bellhousings

-

mshred

The Green Manalishi
Reaction score
Hey guys,

i have a quicktime bellhousing for my t5 to smallblock setup, and i need to get a clutch return spring for it. However, when i went under the car to see where i could have it attached, i didnt really see any places for it. If anybody could share some pics of what theirs looks like or even what they did, where they got the spring from, etc. that would be great. Also, i have a diaphram clutch and no overcenter spring if that matters. Pics would be a great help!

Thanks guys!
Matthew

That spring on the fork to the bellhousing is just to keep the linkage from rattling. You likely don't need it.

That spring on the fork to the bellhousing is just to keep the linkage from rattling. You likely don't need it.

are you sure? i thought the whole point of that spring was so that the clutch pedal returns all the way back up so that im not riding on the throwout bearing and wearing stuff out, hence "return spring"...but im only guessing here

that return spring i believe is under the dash attached to the pedal. i have a return spring on my bellhousing but it isn't hooked up to anything, i noticed it the other day, but didnt think anything of it.

that return spring i believe is under the dash attached to the pedal. i have a return spring on my bellhousing but it isn't hooked up to anything, i noticed it the other day, but didnt think anything of it.

the spring under the dash that you are thinking of is the overcenter spring. The clutch pedal return spring is attached to the fork on one end and the bellhousing on the other. I have no overcenter spring since technically i dont need one with the diaphram clutch, but i also dont have the return spring from the fork to the bell since i have a blowproof and im not sure what would work and where to hook one up (or if i even need one now)

The spring on the bell housing is a very light spring. It keeps all the slope out of the linkage, prevents rattling and yes it will keep the throwout bearing from resting on clutch fingers. It does not have enough strength to return the pedal reliably if the clutch and over center spring are not there.

I drove my car for over a year without that spring because I was not aware that it was supposed to be there at the time.

I would say if you have removed the over center spring for a diaphragm clutch you will need a stronger spring than the stock one to ensure the pedal fully returns.

I would say if you have removed the over center spring for a diaphragm clutch you will need a stronger spring than the stock one to ensure the pedal fully returns.

thats what i was thinking as well

I've been running without a fork return spring for yrs.

what kind of clutch are you running? and do you still have the overcenter spring in there? i think that makes a slight difference here

still run an over center spring with a center force clutch.

also made my own pivot bracket out of 1/4 steel plate since the factory brackets were cracking/bending/breaking, especially with the old hayes strip clutch I had in there.

Not sure if the center force has this problem since I still run the fab'd bracket...

yea i had to make a new pivot bracket as well since mine was bending like a hot girl doing yoga

i think im going to have to fab up some bracket by the starter to run a return spring from the fork since i dont seem to have any other options and i need my pedal to fully return

-
Back