Clutchless A833

-

Dan Brewer

Brewer's Performance Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I get a lot of guys ask it they can shift an A833 clutchless? The majority of the time the answer is no, you need to at least partially dis-engage the clutch. There are however some truly clutchless A833's floating around. Joe Liberty built a few in the early 70's.

20230905_133729.jpg

20230905_134449.jpg

20230905_134537.jpg

20230828_234335.jpg

20230905_134506.jpg

joe_liberty.png

That’s some fantastic looking engineering in that gearbox.

That is truly cool. Once I get going in first gear (with the clutch), I can up upshift and downshift without using the clutch. It's all a matter of matching speed, RPMs and which gear you want. I do NOT do it much, but I have shown people it can be done. Of course, you need the clutch to get going.

Like the straight cut gears but the outside of the side cover looks like a part from a Medeval torture device.

That’s a split coupler ramped design. When the next higher gear is engaged, the main shaft accelerates and the ramps kick the coupler off of the lower gear to disengage it. The straight cut gears are to reduce load on the main shaft bearings (but I’m thinking maybe to also prevent thrust from disengaging the couplers?). If you lift off the throttle in one of the ramped engagement gears, the transmission automatically pops into neutral. I’m curious how long the stock iron case stood up to the shock loads before something finally gave. I imagine that it had to be gone through after every event, at the least.

Last edited:
That is truly cool. Once I get going in first gear (with the clutch), I can up upshift and downshift without using the clutch. It's all a matter of matching speed, RPMs and which gear you want. I do NOT do it much, but I have shown people it can be done. Of course, you need the clutch to get going.
think this thread is geared more to wide open throttle , cant match engine speed ...
a good friend with a 55 chevy stocker has 3 speed set up thats clutchless after leaving the line ...

Three speed.. is it a four speed with first gear deleted so it can incorporate an approved reverse lock out?I always thought a three speed manual close ratio box would be the manual setup to have for the 1/8…

-
Back