Collector Plate Rules

-

mey6t6

Reaction score
Maybe you guys can solve an argument Terry and i are in...he swears up and down that you are only allowed to put 2,000 miles per year on a car with collector plates according to Minnesota state law. I googled collector car rules and all I can find for rules with owning a collector car is you have to reside in the state you have your car registered as a collector and you have to have a second car with regular plates. He insists that in 1999, one of the local cops pulled him over, wrote down his mileage and told him that about the 2,000 mi. and informed Terry that he will be pulling him over later to make sure he doesn't go over the mileage. I think it is all a bunch of B.S. otherwise shows wouldn't be encouraging people to drive their collectors with longest-distance travelled trophies.

May very well be true. Antique plates here will only let you drive on weekends and Holidays and you have to be going to or coming from a car show. As far as I know there is no mileage limit, but do you really need one with the driving restrictions? Pretty much rules out daily use too. Upside; they only cost 5 bucks and don't expire.
We have another class called Classic Car. $15 a year, no driving restrictions, no mileage limit and you have your choice of plates. You can use the Classic Car tag or a West Virginia tag from the same year as the car. I'm running '66 truck tags on my Valiant. They came off dad's '52 GMC pickup.
Normal tags here run from $30 to $40 depending on the weight of the vehicle. I think the state does this to encourage driving NOCs (neat old cars). When I went to visit my now father in law the second time, people in town were still talking about that neat old car that had been there 2 weeks ago. Now, if I don't take it, I spend all day explaining why not.

There are total mileage limitations by Virgina law but my collector insurance policy limits me to 2500 miles a year.

Below is the way Virginia law reads:

§ 46.2-730. License plates for antique motor vehicles and antique trailers; fee.

A. On receipt of an application and evidence that the applicant owns or has regular use of another passenger car or motorcycle, the Commissioner shall issue appropriately designed license plates to owners of antique motor vehicles and antique trailers. These license plates shall be valid so long as title to the vehicle is vested in the applicant. The fee for the registration card and license plates of any of these vehicles shall be a one-time fee of $50.

B. On receipt of an application and evidence that the applicant owns or has regular use of another passenger car or motorcycle, the Commissioner may authorize for use on antique motor vehicles and antique trailers Virginia license plates manufactured prior to 1976 and designed for use without decals, if such license plates are embossed with or are of the same year of issue as the model year of the antique motor vehicle or antique trailer on which they are to be displayed. Original metal year tabs issued in place of license plates for years 1943 and 1952 and used with license plates issued in 1942 and 1951, respectively, also may be authorized by the Commissioner for use on antique motor vehicles and antique trailers that are of the same model year as the year the metal tab was originally issued. These license plates and metal tabs shall remain valid so long as title to the vehicle is vested in the applicant. The fee for the registration card and permission to use the license plates and metal tabs on any of these vehicles shall be a one-time fee of $50. If more than one request is made for use, as provided in this section, of license plates having the same number, the Department shall accept only the first such application.

C. Notwithstanding the provisions of §§ 46.2-711 and 46.2-715, antique motor vehicles may display single license plates if the original manufacturer's design of the antique motor vehicles allows for the use of only single license plates or if the license plate was originally issued in one of the following years and is displayed in accordance with the provisions of subsection B of this section: 1906, 1907, 1908, 1909, 1945, or 1946.

D. Antique motor vehicles and antique trailers registered with license plates issued or authorized for use under this section shall not be used for general transportation purposes, including, but not limited to, daily travel to and from the owner's place of employment, but shall only be used:

1. For participation in club activities, exhibits, tours, parades, and similar events;

2. On the highways of the Commonwealth for the purpose of testing their operation or selling the vehicle or trailer, obtaining repairs or maintenance, transportation to and from events as described in subdivision 1 of this subsection, and for occasional pleasure driving not exceeding 250 miles from the residence of the owner; and

Mileage restrictions as well in California. As far as 'longest distance travelled' awards go, you can always be a 'trailer queen' for those faraway shows.

Check your insurance! If you pay for unlimited mileage......

Up where I am, the only restriction is you can't drive to and from work or school, and of course you have to have a regularly insured vehicle.

I lived in MN most of my life and am very familiar with MN Statute 168.1 (Collector Plates restrictions) and there is no clause like your friend states regarding mileage. Nomally that is an insurance restriction only with some companies. I worked as an officer for the largest county in that state and never heard of that type of DOT restriction with mileage on a collector plated car. Furthermore I just put a call into a statetrooper for "the latest" information regarding anything like that. I hope this helps you.

Boy, your states suck. Here in Co if you buy a collector car (pre 80) you have to have an emmision check then you get 5 year plates. If you re-new prior to them expiring you never have to have emmisions done again. There are no mileage or use restrictions.

I never checked about mileage here in Wisconsin. The vehicle
has to be 20 yrs or older to get the plates. I got Grundy for
the insurance, so no problem there. One law here is it has to be
off the road for at least 1 month. I sure wouldn't drive it in
the winter though. It lasts about 6 months here. Mine was put
away in october, and won't come out for another month.

Thank God I opened up this thread and read it. I was getting worried because I thought you guys were talking about "collector dinner plates" or something.

Here in CA, there appears to be no mileage limitation for historical vehicle plates (but the insurance carrier limitation is another thing). According to CA DMV, historical vehicle plates may be issued to a motor vehicle manufactured after 1922, which is at least 25 years old or older and of historic interest. Vehicles may only be driven in historical exhibitions, parades, or historic vehicle club activities.

Check your insurance! If you pay for unlimited mileage......
Our insurance for the barracuda has never asked for mileage.

I lived in MN most of my life and am very familiar with MN Statute 168.1 (Collector Plates restrictions) and there is no clause like your friend states regarding mileage. Nomally that is an insurance restriction only with some companies. I worked as an officer for the largest county in that state and never heard of that type of DOT restriction with mileage on a collector plated car. Furthermore I just put a call into a statetrooper for "the latest" information regarding anything like that. I hope this helps you.
HELPS ALOT!! THANK-YOU

I'm from Minnesota I haven't heard anything about any mileage restrictions.
I just check the statute 168.10 on the Minnesota DMV site and there is no mention of a mileage restriction. You could also check with someone from a local vintage car club.
Tom

No way would I use an antique plate here in Indiana for my Barracuda.
They have a picture of a Model T on them. I see Muscle Cars with them
and they look so out of place.

Some of the other states I've seen have a much better plate
than here in Indiana.

No way would I use an antique plate here in Indiana for my Barracuda.
They have a picture of a Model T on them. I see Muscle Cars with them
and they look so out of place.

Some of the other states I've seen have a much better plate
than here in Indiana.

Here's a sample picture of ours.

col.gif

col.gif

Collector Plates
Any vehicle that's at least 20 model years old and manufactured after 1935 can display these plates, providing you, the owner, also have at least one other vehicle registered in Minnesota.

I will dig deeper into the laws of Minnesota to see if I can find all the pesky little restrictions.. It is either that or housework.

Washington State

http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/spcollector.html

"Collector vehicle plates
Collector vehicle requirements

Collector vehicles must be:

at least 30 years old.
owned and operated as collector vehicles.
capable of operating on the highway.

Collector vehicles may be driven:

to and from auto shows, circuses, parades, displays, special excursions, and antique car club meetings.
for testing purposes.
for the pleasure of others without compensation.

Collector vehicles may not be used for:

commercial purposes or to carry a load.
regular transportation in the manner of a fully licensed vehicle.
License plate requirements

Collector license plates:

may be assigned to currently registered passenger vehicles, motorcycles, or trucks.
are good for the life of vehicle.
are not required to display month/year tab.
are not renewed annually.
must be displayed on the rear of the vehicle. (You must provide your restored or current license plates. If you provide a set, the collector vehicle plates may be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle).

How to apply:

Provide your restored license plate or plates for the vehicle.
Complete a Special License Plate Application.
Contact your local licensing office to determine the exact cost of your license plates, including all licensing fees.
Take the completed application and plates plus all appropriate fees to a vehicle licensing office.
OR
Mail them to:
Vehicle Licensing
Department of Licensing
PO Box 9909
Olympia, WA 98507-8500
How to renew
You are not required to renew your collector vehicle license plates."

I see them on "daily drivers" all the time. They never check your mileage and there are insurance companies out there that have collector car coverage with no limits on miles.

Here in Nu Yawk we can have vanity plates or regular passenger car plates. I have Hagerty insurance on my money pit and I have NO mileage restriction.

Now I just gotta make it driveable.... 8)
Barracuda472-vi.jpg

-
Back