comp cam springs question?

-

erobbins

Reaction score
Just got my comp kit xe256 with springs and the works for my mild 360 build. When reading thru the instructions for the springs it says to remove the inner springs after the break in period. You got to be kidding me! Is this really necessary? Could I just leave them in or remove them initially? Opinions and suggestions please..... Thanks

your springs should be a single spring with a damper....

If that's what it says Comp Cams isn't proof reading very well. If they are dual springs (I'm inclined to think their singles like Tony said) you need to remove the inner spring for the break in period then install them after.

You guys are right, pardon my ignorance. They are part #901-16. Single spring with a damper. The instructions do read that way though. So, just install them the way they are and I'm good to go? Thanks

yes..you are good to go...and it is nice that someone actually reads the instructions..lol

then again...in the past 3 yrs i have broken in 5 cams..flat tappets and never removed the inner spring...

I have an XE274 cam for my 360 and they recommend their dual springs for it. I think they're p/n 987 springs. I think all XE cams are recommended the same spring. If you have a flat tappet cam, you should really consider taking out the inner spring for break in. It will defiantly help break in that cam and those tappets. The idea is to relieve stress on the lifter face and lobes during that critical period of low oil to the tappets and lobes during engine start and cam break in. If you have a roller cam, I'd say don't worry about it and install both springs.

On dual spring set ups, yes, but since he has a single spring w/damper, he can install both as intended and be OK.

I run the same 901's in my smallblock, and comp does recommend removing the damper spring (the inside one) for break in. I did not, I figure if it's gonna run with them then it's gonna run with them. I had no issues with my cam break in, just be sure and run breakin lube and when assembling everything make sure you have assembly lube on all contact surfaces, and prime the engine before firing.

I am running that same little cam XE256 in a 318 that was in my dart and is now going in my truck. I am very happy with it. Great idle and gets the job done. As far as the spring question goes, I would do what comp recommends. I am running magnum heads with bee hive springs and 1.6 rockers. Here is a video after break in if you are interested. [ame="http://www.flickr.com/photos/29209642@N00/3786346360/"]103_0597 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!@@AMEPARAM@@http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2624/3786346360_ce535962d8_m.jpg@@AMEPARAM@@3786346360@@AMEPARAM@@ce535962d8[/ame]

I had the same question about the 901-16 springs. I called Comp and they said you do not need to remove the damper for break in.

You might feel old when you go to McDonald's and ask you if you need help with your tray.

-
Back