Condenser question

-

unclepunchy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

73 Duster, 4 speed. I am taking apart my dash cluster to clean, etc and forgot where the condenser plug/spade plugs into? Also, if a guy doesn’t have or use a radio, do I even need this?

E6B6404B-9E20-4622-8EBF-B4DED09F982D.jpeg

I'm gonna say "probably" need it radio or not, because it may prolong the points life and provide some filtration. However I WOULD NOT use an OEM pulser IVR. l would pony up for an RTE or similar. I have not checked lately, don't know what is on the market

7-jpg-jpg.jpg

Can't you see the photo? Pull the IVR, stick the tab in the near socket terminal, and shove the IVR back in on top of it

Yes, I'm pretty sure it goes in the middle slot, and just put the IVR on top. That's how it works on B-Bodies. But do yourself a favor. With everything all apart, replace the electro-mechanical limiter with a solid state one. Buy or make your own. You only have to fry your gauges once to wish you had. You can ditch the capacitor then, too.

IMG_20230804_104623071.jpg

Can't you see the photo? Pull the IVR, stick the tab in the near socket terminal, and shove the IVR back in on top of it
Treed me while I was in the basement taking pictures! :)

That is a noise suppression capacitor so yes it goes in the center female slot where 12 volts enters. Its purpose is to prevent a pop noise in radio speaker when mechanical limiters contacts open and close. many models have a similar noise suppression cap' somewhere in the ignition system.
You could plug a solid state regulator in the limiters slots (like RTE4 for example) and no longer need the noise suppression but at the same time you'll have a less tight fit there due to the lack of second male tang in that female connector of the circuit board.

Also, every once in awhile those caps go bad. Leaky is what it's called the most common failure, but they do SHORT and if/ when, they can burn up a PC board trace. Once again, the answer is a solid state replacement IVR

-
Back