Confidence

-

73hcode

Reaction score
This thread is more for the casual mechanic I guess but what project on your car scares you to death. Mine was the wiper linkage but I finally said let's do this and boom I figured it all out and I was wondering if anyone else was nervous about their projects.

There was an old Adage/ Commercial... Confidence is very sexy , don't you think so ??

Paint is about the only thing that makes me nervous since I don't have a lot of experience with spraying it.
Engines, transmissions, rear ends, alignments, electrical, body work fine, but paint uhh.:D

This thread has the potential to be an exercise in bragging as much as self awareness.
I can do many things but not everything is done perfectly. I am a decent body and paint guy but I take far too long to make money at it. I am a decent engine builder as long as I am following a schematic. I've never rebuilt an automatic trans but I have replaced several internal parts and had the great luck to have it actually work afterwards. I can weld but I also need a grinder nearby to "tune up" my irregular welds. I'm best at mechanical stuff: Brakes, steering and suspension.
I am getting better with electrical systems. My soldering skills are improving. I have yet to tackle heating and A/C systems. I've never had an A body that needed a heater box repair but my 70 Charger does. The space is cramped in there and I'm not looking forward to that job at all.

Finding the right guy for the things I can't do myself.
For me chrome plating and engine machining is the problem in my area. Its expensive to buy good help.

Spring relocation, i have the us car tool kit and I'm deadly afraid of cutting into the frame and having something be off!

Actually welding the quarters on. I have had them cut and screwed in place for a couple of years. Cannot get the gut up to start tacking in place. I think if i could get past this then it may be smooth sailing from there.

My son and I have a 73 Duster in pieces scattered all over the garage. No drive-train, wiring, now no suspension (thanks to us) and lots and lots of rust repair and body work. We're tackling the rust repair and some of the body work now. Here are just a few of many things we have to do that scare me.
  • Welding lower quarter panels back in.
  • painting trunk and engine compartment
  • Putting the upgraded suspension and brakes back
  • Wiring
  • and the list goes on...
Since it is the first time I've done any of this, I'm scared (actually I know) I might screw something up. In what we've done so far, this has delayed me starting for a bit, but once I get going on it, I get more confident as each step progresses. The thought of welding eight months ago was scary since I'd never done it before, but not a big deal now. I'm not claiming to be good at it, but learning from my mistakes and getting better as time goes on.

Travis

A lot of the same stuff here. I am a 'maintenance guy', so am used to being faced with fixing things I have never worked on before or do not have specific training for. The biggest thing for me has been taking the time to educate myself through each step. FABO was a huge resource along the way along with the FSM and anyone that knew more than me.
I have assembled a couple engines before, but it had been a while. So that rebuild was not too daunting. But I still got a lot of specifics from various sources including slantsix.org. I had done only a little welding before, but bought a welder and dove in. Rebuilt trans, carb, suspension, heater box, alternator...pretty much everything lol, for the first time. I have done some gun spraying before, but never a whole car ( I did a 75 Comet with spray bombs 30 years ago ) so that is what I am working out now. I've already done the inner stuff, but the outside is a much bigger nut to crack. What kind of paint, how much, where to paint it, how to get it right? With every bit I learn I am more confident I can pull it off.
Forgot a big one - glass. This was absolutely a first for me and more than a little anxiety. I did break one used back glass while cleaning it... Now - no problem. Even helped another member do his since...

Last edited:
Only thing that scared me was front and Rear glass. Now I have a guy for that.

This is my first post on this forum but I've never been checking in once in awhile for tips, how-to articles and inspiration from members rides. This thread really hit me because I'm starting in on a total rebuild of a '70 Dart that I've owned for over 20 years lol. I'm a machinist by trade and I've been mig welding for a couple decades, yet I'm nervous about doing a few of the things I need to tackle. Number 1 is body work! Namely quarter panel replacement. And removing the windshield and back glass. This isn't my first project, but it is far and away my most involved! And even though I have tackled almost all of my own repairs on every vehicle I've ever owned, there is so much I don't know, and that is a little daunting.

Body Work..When my Son and built our Race car I applied and sanded off a gallon of bondo and it still looked like crap.Had to hire someone to straighten it out. Can't afford it now on my Dart so I'm not sure what I'm going to do.It's actually pretty straight but needs some work. Not fond of electrical at all but can figure it out.Have built a lot of engines and tranny's so no problem there.

Bout 15 years ago had a "professionally built" 400 that I could not get to run at a decent temp. Thought at first maybe just break in but never cooled to a normal temp, and never ran to its potential. Finally got the courage to tear it down and discovered the cam was cut 5 degrees retarded, so I bought a keyway timing chain and installed it 3 degrees advanced as per advice found here. Can't stop me now!!

This is my first post on this forum but I've never been checking in once in awhile for tips, how-to articles and inspiration from members rides. This thread really hit me because I'm starting in on a total rebuild of a '70 Dart that I've owned for over 20 years lol. I'm a machinist by trade and I've been mig welding for a couple decades, yet I'm nervous about doing a few of the things I need to tackle. Number 1 is body work! Namely quarter panel replacement. And removing the windshield and back glass. This isn't my first project, but it is far and away my most involved! And even though I have tackled almost all of my own repairs on every vehicle I've ever owned, there is so much I don't know, and that is a little daunting.
Connecticut....I was there in 2006. I remember that you guys have a LOT of towns ending in the word Bury. Waterbury, etc.
Welcome to the club here. Lots of helpful people, some funny ones, a few idiots and one or two guys fresh out of jail.

Connecticut....I was there in 2006. I remember that you guys have a LOT of towns ending in the word Bury. Waterbury, etc.
Welcome to the club here. Lots of helpful people, some funny ones, a few idiots and one or two guys fresh out of jail.
True about the "Bury" names, but I bet CT has twice as many towns ending in "field"! This Dart is a probably going to be a long term project and I'm slowly gathering parts and hopefully some knowledge along the way to take it in the direction I've envisioned!

I'm not afraid to take anything apart, and can usually put it back together the 1st time. And if it takes more than 1 try, I consider it a learning experience. Bodywork has never been my forte. The one thing that scared me to no end was doing the 1/4s on the Fury 16 years ago. I taught my self to weld on the floors and trunk floor, before moving onto making small patches on the front fenders, working my way up to the BIG job of the 1/4s. I bought lower replacements and spent a whole Saturday looking and measuring. Spent the next Saturday clamping the new panel to the old one and measuring some more. Finally drew a couple of lines on the originals, got e eruthing measured out and laid out. Then I stood there looking at it for about another hour or so before I made my 1st cut. Once I had it cut open, it was do or fail miserably trying. My confidence was way sexy when I did the other side...lol.

For me it's the prospect of an eventual gear swap (3.23 to 3.91) and adding a sure-grip/truetrak to my 742. I've never worked on a differential and know there is an element of finesse to set it up properly. I'd love to learn how to set-up a 742 as it'd be great to be able to swap gears for different applications, i.e. long highway trip, 1/4 mile action etc. But, unless I can find a local FABO member that knows the ropes and is willing to walk me through it, I'll probably end up having to pay a "pro" to do it. That said, I still have plenty of other "to-do" items to keep me busy for awhile.

Pat

I'm never scared to try anything new. But generally the only things I don't tackle are the things I don't got the tools for. If I have to buy $500 worth of tools to do a $100 dollar job. I probably won't, especially if it's a job I know I won't do again for a few years. I may want or use those tools in the future. But I'll buy them when I get there. Same with shop space. Unfortunately I don't have permanent access to a garage. I'm the definition of a shady tree mechanic. I do all my work generally wherever I can find that's best. And sometimes that mean's there are jobs I can't do because I don't have access to a lift or garage or etc.

Prime example was my headers. Borrowed buddies garage. Borrowed buddy. Go them hanging. Then he snapped an exhaust stud. Then he snapped an extractor in the snapped stud. Unfortunately it had to be fixed with fire. Fire I didn't have. So it ended up having to go to the shop. I didn't want it that way. But eh, life doesn't go the way you want sometimes.

Whenever I start on a complex project I think to myself,...."What if I screw this up". Then I think about it and say to myself, "No matter how bad I screw it up I know that I can fix it". There's isn't much I can't do it's just that some things take more time than others. Things like "custom" upholstery, I leave to the experts and even though I know how to paint I prefer to leave that to the experts. Since I'm a machinist there's not much I can't make but I prefer to make something than to "fix" something!!

treblig

I always take this approach: if another human can, so can I. At least until proven otherwise...lol. I broke 3-4 pieces of glass realizing I couldn't get the hang of it. It is unrealistic to expect results to be professional until you put i the time and effort to learn the tricks and fail a few times.
Project - where in CT are you?

I always take this approach: if another human can, so can I. At least until proven otherwise...lol. I broke 3-4 pieces of glass realizing I couldn't get the hang of it. It is unrealistic to expect results to be professional until you put i the time and effort to learn the tricks and fail a few times.
I've lived and worked Northeast Ct all my life.
Moper - I live in Northeast Ct

Engines and electrical come easy. (I am a jman electrician so duh) and the other things like brakes and other mechanical jobs.

I really...really...really hate body work. Just zero love for it. I'd have to pay someone to do it.

-
Back