Console linkage questions

-

paulclark

Early A fanatic
Reaction score
I'm working on a 65 Barracuda that had been someone's unfinished project car. They installed a strong 318 and 904, but of course it's a later 904 so it doesn't work with the 65's original cable operated console shifter. (and then you realize why the project never got finished).

Questions:
Can I install a 66-up shifter linkage with the transmission in the car or do I need to pull the transmission?

Will I need to install a floor hump from a 66 console car? (assuming yes for the shifter mounts and pass-through hole for hte linkage)

Can the early style console be used as a cover over the 66-up shifter?

Thanks!

Reposting this diagram of the 66-up shifter land linkage posted by 6pak2goDemon in another thread for reference

cuda-console-shifter-69-jpg.jpg

Last edited:
I designed a way to do away with the bracket that's mounted under the trans (the bracket at the bottom of the torque shaft and mounts to the trans). Don't know if this helps??

Just buy an aftermarket shifter like a B&M Quick silver. Whole job will be done in an afternoon.

Drinking coffee and looking at above pics this morning, and wondering is this an improvement or not? When left side biscuit type motor support breaks, motor and trans rotate. Factories design ties torque shaft to trans, maintains shifter and trans linkage relation to a degree. I remember hearing a couple horror stories about mopars switching to neutral even with all the factory linkage parts. Old school drag racers could tell some stories.
This could be related to why later model spool type motor and trans supports are called "fail safe" supports. Good luck to all.

Drinking coffee and looking at above pics this morning, and wondering is this an improvement or not? When left side biscuit type motor support breaks, motor and trans rotate. Factories design ties torque shaft to trans, maintains shifter and trans linkage relation to a degree. I remember hearing a couple horror stories about mopars switching to neutral even with all the factory linkage parts. Old school drag racers could tell some stories.
This could be related to why later model spool type motor and trans supports are called "fail safe" supports. Good luck to all.
I had the same fear when I first put it together (engine/trans torque rotation). I installed swivels at both end of the rod that attached to the trans shifter lever to allow for trans/engine twist. The factory didn't have swivels at both ends of the trans shift rod which doesn't allow for any "twist". Never had a problem once I got it adjusted. It worked perfectly.

There isn't a chance in hell I'd go through all that to end up with a factory shifter. Buy aftermarket. There's been some guys here that've incorporated aftermarket shifters into the console.

There isn't a chance in hell I'd go through all that to end up with a factory shifter. Buy aftermarket. There's been some guys here that've incorporated aftermarket shifters into the console.
It only took me one day to make all the mods??

We've seen aftermarket shifter cables melted by the exhaust also. Some have resorted to a mile long cable routed forward, then over, clockwise nearly all the way around a trans. Lets hope other early A-body owners share what setup worked for them.

In interested as well, same situation here. I thought there was a kit to convert factory cable shift to later model transmissions. All i need to know is how it was done. Im keeping my original shifter, even if i have to re-engineer it.

I can appreciate all the engineering/fabrication to make that bracket setup, but I would just buy the correct bracket...$50 or less....... not worth many hours of my time...
s-l300.jpg

Quicksilver in factory console. Note the shifter has been moved to the left slot and the shift indicator is now in the right.

4C0D6630-283F-4516-BA21-C0BCC1591430.jpeg

A64CA36A-56B7-401D-81CB-4BA09E33F8F1.jpeg

In interested as well, same situation here. I thought there was a kit to convert factory cable shift to later model transmissions. All i need to know is how it was done. Im keeping my original shifter, even if i have to re-engineer it.
That was my attitude, I was determined to keep my factory console and shifter after I installed a 700r4 in my Barracuda. I wanted an overdrive trans and I wanted the factory look inside the car. I got both...no one would ever know from looking inside my car. I even made some minor mods to the factory shifter assembly to be able to use all 4 gears.

That was my attitude, I was determined to keep my factory console and shifter after I installed a 700r4 in my Barracuda. I wanted an overdrive trans and I wanted the factory look inside the car. I got both...no one would ever know from looking inside my car. I even made some minor mods to the factory shifter assembly to be able to use all 4 gears.

Wait - so you installed a later lever-operated transmission and you've got it connected to the original 65 shifter? That's what I want.

Wait - so you installed a later lever-operated transmission and you've got it connected to the original 65 shifter? That's what I want.
Well not exactly what I said. My Barracuda is a '69. You had asked me how I "did it" not what year my car was. I was just showing that you can get a shifter connected without the bracket that mounts under the trans. I know that early As don't use that bracket. Have thought about cutting and fitting a 67/68/68 console in you car?? It should fit unless you have bench seats.

-
Back