Console Woodgrain Removal & Replacement

-

CFD244

"THE NEW OLDSMOBILES ARE IN EARLY THIS YEAR"
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks

Can anyone give me a heads up, as to the easiest way to re & re the woodgrain insert on my auto console before I dig in? Would love to hear from someone who has done it.

Thanks

I peeled mine off using goo gone or one of those other sticker removers. Don’t remember which one. Mine was out of the car, so I could be messy. I bought the Detroit Muscle replacement wood grain. It was good quality and installed easily with their instructions. There are two different versions, one has a hole for the console button on later years.

Here are some before and after pics. I remember using a heat gun carefully to get the old decal off the console. The console plates were removed from the base. I think it was Detroit muscle where I got the applique.

DSC02673.JPG

DSC02672.JPG

DSC02671.JPG

DSC03514.JPG

Wow....Nice work! Did you do anything to the chrome, or does the new insert just set it off?

Just polished the chrome. The new applique really set it off. I also cleaned the console body; stiff brush, light sanding and refinished with black paint (used adhesion promotor and good paint) which also provides contrast to the chrome. The black carpet trim was newer and not faded. I had the selector window out and polished that with lens polish and refinished the black backplate for the selector lens.

Had just finished mine last week , heat gun than to remove the gum I used shellite white spirit you get from your hardware let it soak to soften gum than with a blade and thumb to roll gum off. Mind you it took a while and cleaned console while it was all apart .I ended up getting the contact from Laysons as they had the right colour and texture . While it was apart I ended up making it 3rd gear lock out so I don’t accidentally go into neutral as it’s a forward pattern cheater valve body.

2F9CB563-76D0-48DC-9F11-D76A48BD6A84.jpeg

5FA21BDB-8A52-40D4-870A-D99485A041DD.jpeg

9A352A4A-5413-4229-AD9C-4DC6EC9A8503.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Looks like a winning procedure. Nice to get some insights without having to experiment (and possibly make mistakes). Best regards.

-
Back