Convert '65 273 from A904 to manual column tranny?

-

Schyrjajew

Reaction score
Hello. Greets from Switzerland.
I have a '65 Valiant Wagon with a 273 engine. From the factory an A904 automatic transmission is installed (column shift). But since I don't like automatic transmissions at all, but I love column gearshifting, I'm thinking about converting the car to 3 gear column gearshifting. The A230 is a fully synchronized gearbox. Does it exist as column version?Or what do you recommend if you want a manual gearbox with scolumn gearshift.
The a745 is not all synchro, as I know.

I used a A833 in my wagon .Threw in some bucket seats from a 66 and now I can carry long boards with the tailgate closed just by folding the seat . I used a 65 A833 out of a 65 Barracuda with all the factory related parts so it was a basically bolt in job once I put the floor tunnel in place. The early 3 speed shift levers should bolt up to the later 3 speed if it shifts from the side like the earlier one and the 4 speed . If that's the case then you can just use any 64 - 66 A body 3 speed column . I have a few early 3 speeds laying around with the levers I can photograph .

Last edited:
I used a A833 in my wagon .Threw in some bucket seats from a 66 and now I can carry long boards with the tailgate closed just by folding the seat . I used a 65 A833 out of a 65 Barracuda with all the factory related parts so it was a basically bolt in job once I put the floor tunnel in place. The early 3 speed shift levers should bolt up to the later 3 speed if it shifts from the side like the earlier one and the 4 speed . If that's the case then you can just use any 64 - 66 A body 3 speed column . I have a few early 3 speeds laying around with the levers I can photograph .

So as I understand it, you mean that I could just install the A230 3 speed tranny and the normal 63 to 66 steering column with the shift linkage?
Sorry, English is not my native language.

You will have to find a "manual" shift column & all of the linkage if you want the shifter to be on the column. The automatic column will not work. as it does not have the correct arms or detents for a standard transmission.

You will have to find a "manual" shift column & all of the linkage if you want the shifter to be on the column. The automatic column will not work. as it does not have the correct arms or detents for a standard transmission.
Right, I got that. What I meant was that when I got the manual linkage and steering column from the '63 to '66. If then these components can be connected easily with the A230, like if it would be an A903 or A745, or if I would have to change something on the A230.

With the grace of God, a torch & a welder, you can "make" anything fit. LOL As far as the interchangeability, I'll have to leave that question to the early A body gurus here.

I’d venture to guess if the 230 has the shift levers on the side, then if you used the 63-66 column shifter column it would likely be a matter of Adjusting the shifter rods. When you do this, lots of pics please!

I’d venture to guess if the 230 has the shift levers on the side, then if you used the 63-66 column shifter column it would likely be a matter of Adjusting the shifter rods. When you do this, lots of pics please!
I think that the whole set up should be easy as long as you use all the early stuff from the levers that bolt on the side of the trans to shift it to the early manual column. the driveshaft may be a problem to overcome and the speedo gear & cable but these things are easy to solve.There is also the issue of using the correct bell housing for the later transmission with the right size hole for the bearing retainer. It comes down to having all the right parts

-
Back