Converter problem?

-

67DARTGTCONV

Reaction score
Need some Help,

When I put the car in drive, the rpm drops from 780 to 630.
When I go into reverse the rpm drops from 780 to 450 and the motor is really labouring.

just started doing this, is the converter going out to lunch?

360 stock, 904 trans

THanks

First question I have is why do you have a stock 360 ideling at 780 rpm? That's where my built lumpy cammed 360 idles. Should idle at no more 750 rpm max in neutral. How's the tune up? Could be just the carb out of tune causing it to drop so much. I haven't seen a converter do that. Not saying it can't. Just ain't seen one do it.

I,d check vacuum lines,might have been bumped of by accident,cracked.Is usually something vacuum related with such a drop in idle when put in gear.

Thanks for your replys.
I have the idle @780 as any lower it will stall in reverse. THe car had a fresh tune up this spring and has been running great. Did suffer a coil failure ( 1 month old) last weekend same time this trans problem started. Talked to a trans shop and he feels a pump seal may be leaking and pumping oil where it should not be when in reverse. Justa guess though.

The pump seal has nothing to do with directing oil thru the transmission. The fact it drops more is probably because I believe the gear ratio in reverse is not as low as first. The load on the convertor is slightly different as a result. but, I agree you should not have to idle the engine that high, nor should it drop that far. I would be looking at you initial timing setup and also the carb setup. It sounds like either the timing is retarded at idle or the carb is lean, or both. You should be able to idle it around 600rpm and it should drop about 50rpm regardless of gear.

THanks for the replys

Called a buddy at a tranny shop and he suggested I bypass the rad cooler with a piece of rubber hose and try it in reverse again. So I take some rubber hose and try it in reverse and WHAM no more problem. I do not know the status of the rad prior to me owning the car . THe transmission never gave me any trouble before and the fluid is like new at the stick.
I am going to hang a Tran cooler out front bypassing the rad and good to go for the rest of summer. Seems to be a first check beside the fluid at the stick at this guys shop when it comes to older Chryslers.

Need some Help,

When I put the car in drive, the rpm drops from 780 to 630.
When I go into reverse the rpm drops from 780 to 450 and the motor is really labouring.

just started doing this, is the converter going out to lunch?

360 stock, 904 trans

THanks

This sounds weird.

I believe, whether you put the trans in drive or reverse, the convertor turns the same direction...in other words, the convertor does not care what gear your put it in. The gear selection is after the convertor. could it be a timing problem...your distributor is advancing slightly at 780rpm, then when you put it in gear, the dizzy's springs pull the advance back to zero,retarding the timing, and making the engine idle even slower?

just pulling at straws....

...and I have no idea why, when you pull the cooler out of the system it would cure this problem... (shrug)

-
Back