Converter Quiz

-
P

Problem Child

Please clear this up for me. I want to run a 904 behind my 360. I will be getting the engine balanced and would like to know what converter/flex plate I have to run. Should I get a B&M flex plate, balance the converter or what. Thanks guys, More questions from this FNG will be comming.

The car is a 76 Dart Swinger.
360 forty over
Magnum Heads 59 cc/ 1.6 rocker ratio
I Beam Rods
Speed Pro Pistons at about 10:5 compression
Lunati cam 488 @50/ 235 Dur
will be adding Pro Stock or SS springs

Will run 1/8 mile mostly with about a 4:56 gear once a month and a couple days a month to drive and cruise.

My main question concerns my confuesion over the flywheel and converter balance and who makes one for the combo at 3000 to 3500 stall.
Thanks again

The best way to go is with the B&M or TCI flexplate and have it balanced with your rotating assy. Then you can use any neutral balanced converter you want. If your engine is allready together that's ok too. Just bolt it on and use the converter of your choice.

fishy68 said:
The best way to go is with the B&M or TCI flexplate and have it balanced with your rotating assy. Then you can use any neutral balanced converter you want. If your engine is allready together that's ok too. Just bolt it on and use the converter of your choice.

I agree. There are a lot more neutral balance converters to choose from and you won't have to mess with welding on weights.

Use a B@M flexplate and bring it and the balancer to the machine shop. Have them bolt them up to the crank when they balance up the crank and rods. Then just use nuetral balanced converter.

You'll want a 3500 rpm converter for it. I think a "loose" 10" Turbo Action converter will work good with that combo.

I'm running a tight 8" T/A converter in my car. It flashes to 4000 rpms and has good street manners.

If you buy a flex plate for an external balanced 360, thats all you need to do and then you can use a nuetral balanced converter. If you are having the 360 internally balanced then you'll need to find a standard flexplate, and you'll still be able to use a neutral balanced converter. I do not understand why some of you guys make it seem more dificult IE telling him to take flex plate and converter to shop to be balanced, totally not neccessary, that is why B&M came out with the flexplates that have a big section missing, to acomidate the external balanced 360.

krabysniper said:
I do not understand why some of you guys make it seem more dificult IE telling him to take flex plate and converter to shop to be balanced, totally not neccessary, that is why B&M came out with the flexplates that have a big section missing, to acomidate the external balanced 360.

The reason some of us said to get the B&M flex plate and take it to the shop is because in his original post he said he was getting his engine balanced. The balancing shop needs all rotating parts to balance it. Yes he could take them a converter with a weight on it but is their a guarantee that the weight is correct? What if someone welded it on improperly? Then his whole rotating assy. is out of balance. Thus the reason to get it balanced with the new B&M plate.

-
Back