Convertible trunk mat/sound deadening

-

MoparBS

Reaction score
I’m looking to get a trunk mat for my 67 Barracuda convertible. I think maybe this classic industries mat is just labeled wrong but can somebody confirm for me? It says fastback but it looks like it could be the one I need.

Aside from that, anybody recommend a different/better place for a trunk liner? Classic industries seems reliable which is why I started there.

Lastly, how impactful would it be to put dynamat or something similar down on the trunk floor prior to the new mat?

Any advice would be appreciated.

https://www.classicindustries.com/p...VFOXICh2OHgJLEAQYDyABEgIf0_D_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

If you have a convertible you will need the one made for a coupe. They have listings for "notchback/coupe"

Last edited:
Fastback mat is too small. You need coupe or convertible.

Sound deadening in trunk? Ever run alongside a semi on the interstate? My convertible is so loud with top up or down I don't see how sound deadening way back in the trunk would make any difference at all.

Any sound deadening will help but as Kosmickuda said it's a convertible.

When I drive to car shows I have over the ear head phones on that brings the db down to where I can hear when I arrive.

Now with the top up it is not particularly loud inside to the point I hear all kinds of car noises I don't otherwise. Ignorance is bliss!

:rofl:

The sound deadening does 2 things
  1. It stiffins the metal so it can not vibrate like a speaker cone
  2. It adds absorption to stop the sound from transmitting so easily.

A third posable benifit, if installed well, is it will keep water off the metal.

I have not seen any testing to prove this. A void could possibly become a spot where cold metal can come in contact with moist air and condense.

When I drive to car shows I have over the ear head phones on that brings the db down to where I can hear when I arrive.

Now with the top up it is not particularly loud inside to the point I hear all kinds of car noises I don't otherwise. Ignorance is bliss!

A third posable benifit, if installed well, is it will keep water off the metal.

I have not seen any testing to prove this. A void could possibly become a spot where cold metal can come in contact with moist air and condense.
I think the above is accurate. I have a '68 convertible Barracuda. I put dynamat extreme from the front windshield down to the rear trunk divider, and then covered that with the double, foil-sided jute mat on top of that. I seal the seams with that wax paper covered aluminum foil duct tape. I use it to hold down the edges too. I put strips of dynamat inside the doors and under the door panels too.

Make sure you have good seals in the doors and elsewhere too.

The combination of the 2 works very well to block fumes, sound and heat. It is a convertible though, so I didn't put the jute mat in the low spots where water can pool if it gets in. It usually does no matter how well I try and restore the factory seals.

As far as the trunk goes, I won't use factory style rubber mats because they trap water from condensation and leaks resulting in rust eventually. The top boot is just a thin material, so sound passes through it from the trunk area easily. I never hear much from that, and the cabin and door insulation does help. I do have one I can install for car shows etc.

Insul4.JPG

Insul5.JPG

Last edited:

I think the top up in normal driving scenario is what led me to the dynamat question. I see the same thing where noises I don’t hear with the top down seem to creep up and annoy me with the top up. Maybe I have a low bar but I am pretty impressed with how “quiet” the car is with the top down. My dad had a 94 LeBaron convertible and I swear the wind noise was way worse on that. I can have a conversation with people in the back seat and not have to yell. I don’t remember that being the case in the LeBaron.

Last edited:
I think the above is accurate. I have a '68 convertible Barracuda. I put dynamat extreme from the front windshield down to the rear trunk divider, and then covered that with the double, foil-sided jute mat on top of that. I seal the seams with that wax paper covered aluminum foil duct tape. I use it to hold down the edges too. I put strips of dynamat inside the doors and under the door panels too.

Make sure you have good seals in the doors and elsewhere too.

The combination of the 2 works very well to block fumes, sound and heat. It is a convertible though, so I didn't put the jute mat in the low spots where water can pool if it gets in. It usually does no matter how well I try and restore the factory seals.

As far as the trunk goes, I won't use factory style rubber mats because they trap water from condensation and leaks resulting in rust eventually. The top boot is just a thin material, so sound passes through it from the trunk area easily. I never hear much from that, and the cabin and door insulation does help. I do have one I can install for car shows etc.

View attachment 1716024035

View attachment 1716024036
Thanks for the info and pics. I definitely want to do all that eventually but can’t justify tearing the interior apart at the moment. I just got the car about 6 months ago and looking for quick and easy improvements for now because the car doesn’t really “need” any work.

I agree. I've looked into buying a weighted, sound-deadening blanket of some kind, and trying to figure out how to hang it at the front of the trunk, to better seal the trunk sound/noise from the passenger compartment. I don't expect "new car quiet" by any means, just better than it is now.

The main drawback to using Dynamat or similar, is that it's a real ***** to remove if you need to later on. In the trunk, unless it needs to stay stock, I'd use carpet with thick jute under it.

I just got the car about 6 months ago and looking for quick and easy improvements for now because the car doesn’t really “need” any work
I agree, drive the car and enjoy it. If you can keep the repairs and improvements to weekend projects your more likely to have an enjoyable project.

Pm me if you need specific photos. My car is largly original some aftermarket repo parts to keep it alive.

I drive it every month of the year! Top down!

As for your brake parts, as others have stated the parts are available, rock auto is a good source for the parts. Don't have to buy from them but it will most times give you a part number

Also mymopar.com has factory service manuals and parts books.

Many times if you have the original part number you can Google it and find a replacement part.

Thanks for the info and pics. I definitely want to do all that eventually but can’t justify tearing the interior apart at the moment. I just got the car about 6 months ago and looking for quick and easy improvements for now because the car doesn’t really “need” any work.
You can remove the front seat, door sills and seat belt bolts to expose the floor. Then clean and treat any rust, tuck any dynamat or equivalent up under the firewall without removing anything else and then lay down some foil backed jute from Speedway Motors. Replace the carpet with fresh or replace the old, bolt the seat, seat belts and door sills back down easily in a weekend if its worth it to you.

I find bulk packs of Dynamat Extreme on sale at Amazon for about half off with free shipping whenever I need some. The double sided foil backed jute pad is available at Speedway Motors or at Aircraft Spruce.

Here's a quick note regarding how they insulate small airplanes for noise and heat. The Dynamat is used in strips to quiet and dampen the vibrations that the panels experience. Knock on the panels with your hand, and listen to them "ring". Then add Dynamat in strips until the panel vibrations/ringing is deadend. You can get away with about half as much Dynamat per panel instead of covering the whole surface. It's really the foil covered jute mat that does most of the quieting, sealing and insulating the majority of the noise, heat and vapors that pass into the cockpit. You can cut the jute mat into sections like a dress maker does to sew clothes and then seal all the seams and edges with that aluminum duct tape. It is more cost efficient and works better than how 90% of most people attempt to insulate their rides.

Last edited:
-
Back