"Cool car, what is it?"

-

bighammer

Reaction score
Took my car out for a spin yesterday, got a couple quotes for a paint job. Everywhere I went , I heard the same comments! Then I got to thinking, there really are no other Darts in my area. I know of a 67 Cuda and a 68 Road Runner, but no other Mopar cars from that era. These cars really are rare.

I was surprised to even hear "what kind of car is it? From adult men that you would think should know what it is. One guy asked me if it was a Charger!

Anyway, lookin forward to gettin her painted and an engine swap. Even my wife is excited about it! This site has been a huge help for me, & I want to thank everybody for all the help and inspiration.

Mark

What area of Oregon are you in and what are you looking to spend on paint?

Our complete repaints *start* at $6,500 but the car will be refinished absolutely correctly.

I am normally the not the only barracuda but a-body at the local shows. Even at the Mopar shows I'm one of a couple/few.

My town is about 80% mopar and 10 % chevy and the other 10% is ford. The down fall, everything in my town cost more for my car, but it is easier to find.
It is nice going to a gas station and people walk up saying nice duster, or you have an old duster huh? they laugh and walk away.

6500 is the same it would cost in my town to have your car painted and polished.

$6500 is a steal of a deal. my paint cost me 5k labor and i supplied the materials. materials alone for my car was over $4500 and my car is still a 10 footer.

Please note....... *start* at $6,500.

$6,500 would buy you Removal and installation of all necessary components related to an exterior repaint with jambs.

Very minor body work (door dings)

Surface prep for a correct refinish

Re-paint

I have a 73 Dart with no emblems or callouts at all on the outside and I get asked if it's a Pontiac frequently.

I have a 73 Dart with no emblems or callouts at all on the outside and I get asked if it's a Pontiac frequently.
my duster is smeared with 3 Duster emblems, 2 on the sides, one in the back, 360 four barrel emblems on the scoop , 360 callouts on the flanks, "plymouth" across the front and rear, and people still call it a nova

my duster is smeared with 3 Duster emblems, 2 on the sides, one in the back, 360 four barrel emblems on the scoop , 360 callouts on the flanks, "plymouth" across the front and rear, and people still call it a nova

LMAO! I get the same think brother.

Pat

Lol had a younger guy come up to the house selling alarm systems. He asked is that your 360 out there? (Lol it's not a Z car but at least he read one of the emblems I had people ask what motor is in it several times). I said yea it's my duster. He got a puzzled look on his face and asked what year. I told him 72 then he looked like someone hit him with a board. Lmfao never have I saw a bigger look of confusion. After a few moments he composed himself and said well it's pretty cool then walked away lol.

Here is a savings tip:
I had three cars done in the last 8 years body work and paint.
Base coat /clear PPG not all bondod up either ,they welded in a few patches where needed all three cars were under 5k.
here is the savings part i did the un Assemble
and reasemble and wet sand and polish so i would have spend alitte more probably saved 2-3 k and they were all very respectable.

Took my car out for a spin yesterday, got a couple quotes for a paint job. Everywhere I went , I heard the same comments! Then I got to thinking, there really are no other Darts in my area. I know of a 67 Cuda and a 68 Road Runner, but no other Mopar cars from that era. These cars really are rare.

I was surprised to even hear "what kind of car is it? From adult men that you would think should know what it is. One guy asked me if it was a Charger!

Anyway, lookin forward to gettin her painted and an engine swap. Even my wife is excited about it! This site has been a huge help for me, & I want to thank everybody for all the help and inspiration.

Mark

$6500 is a steal of a deal. my paint cost me 5k labor and i supplied the materials. materials alone for my car was over $4500 and my car is still a 10 footer.

4500 in materials? what the hell you use for primer gold?

4500 in materials? what the hell you use for primer gold?

I had to buy all the filler, sandpaper primer, sealer, reducer base and clear coats. I used Glasurit products.

the whole car was taken down to bare metal and everything was painted.

i could have spent alot more. My original color choice was a 3 stage tangelo pearl.

those dont bug me to much except for when a guy walked up and said cool nova when i was building my AFX belvedere...

Sorry, but those prices would tend to make me do all the body work & fire up the spray gun.... Even if I don't have the time..... :) I'm cheap!

Mark

That's funny, yesterday working in my garage I here someone say does it have a 396? My neighbors dad was visiting and noticed the car in the garage 69 dodge dart. I walked out and said you have the wrong type of car it's a dodge not a chevy.
He laughed and came over and checked it out .
I was surprised because he was in his late 50's, I did have a 17ft kayak along the side of the car so you couldn't see the bottom 2 ft of the car.

I had to buy all the filler, sandpaper primer, sealer, reducer base and clear coats. I used Glasurit products.

the whole car was taken down to bare metal and everything was painted.

i could have spent alot more. My original color choice was a 3 stage tangelo pearl.

never heard of glasurit but that alot of cash... i can get in at about half that using PPG, transtar and klingspor

Every time some one asks me I make them guess. Closest guess I got was 1968 GTX, and he was the first to even get the right corporation of make. I get the " what is that, a Malibu?..." all the time. oh and about $13k in mid 90'd dollars for my body and paint, car had to be returned and repainted 3 times. None of which I paid for, and its still not right and they didn't even paint the inside of the trunk.....

-
Back