cool exhaust manifolds

-

theothergarth

Reaction score
Is there anything special about these? My machine shop loaned these to me for engine break in so I don't ruin my new headers. I thought they would look really cool cleaned up and was just wondering if they are just standard manifolds

i gotta' ask...how does breaking in your motor ruin your headers?

Those are usually found on vans.

kursplat, if you break in a new engine with new ceramic coated headers, it will overheat, discolor and even permanently damage the coating. Since a new engine is always out of tune with timing and carburetor settings, it is never a good idea to break one in with high quality headers on it.

kursplat, if you break in a new engine with new ceramic coated headers, it will overheat, discolor and even permanently damage the coating...
thanks, i love looking at pretty set of headers on a motor, but over the last 40 years they've alway's been a wear item for me :burnout:

This is very good advice! I didn’t believe the hype with breaking a motor in with ceramic headers, now I’m a believer. I have Doug’s ceramic D450 headers ($$$) on the stroker. I did the break-in with them on the car, and now 1, 3, 5 tubes are discolored and kinda flat grey in color. For the cost of these headers, I wish I would have listened to people telling me this!!

Manifolds look similar to the ones on my 90 Dodge truck with 318.
Good idea using manifolds instead of headers. I'll have to remember that!

George

I have been really impressed with this shop I have been dealing with. When I asked around about good machine shops in my area, this place was the first one on the list every time. They have worked with me, loaned me the manifolds, a shaft to prime my oil pump and several other things. When the motor fires up with no problems I will be even happier!

-
Back