Correct Carb Spacer?

-

69signetv8

Reaction score
Have a performer intake as showen with a "square" bore Holley Carb. At this time I'm also using a square bore "open" spacer. Should I be using the "four" hole spacer? and does it matter? As it stands now, I don't seem to be having any fuel mixture problems but would perfer it to be correct.

PS These red adaptors are just examples!
Thanks

2176.jpg

60_r7_c10.jpg

60_r4_c13.jpg

Heh Jimmy, I can't say for sure with your dual plane but I do know that the 4 hole I installed on my single plane really help the off idle response. I'm guessing that in your case an open is the way to go.

Terry

There isnt a right or wrong. The stages are intake alone, then 4 hole, then open. Each one will effect cylinder to cylinder distribution, overall power, engine response at different rpms, and idle characteristics to some extent. There is no "right" or "wrong". Just what your engine likes. I find if you really need a spacer, you have the wrong intake on there. My advice would be the open one will give you more plenum, and help the air turn better, but give a lower signal to the carb at idle and low speeds. The 4 hole will lessen the bad things, and give you a little more plenum area. So dpeneding on cam, compression, gearing, and convertor, go with what gives you what you need. Better response/low end = 4 hole. Better rpm potential and over all horsepower=open.

I went with a 4-hole phenolic spacer.Seems to work well.

I run the 2176 with a Ede 600cfm.

moper said:
There isnt a right or wrong. The stages are intake alone, then 4 hole, then open. Each one will effect cylinder to cylinder distribution, overall power, engine response at different rpms, and idle characteristics to some extent. There is no "right" or "wrong". Just what your engine likes. I find if you really need a spacer, you have the wrong intake on there. My advice would be the open one will give you more plenum, and help the air turn better, but give a lower signal to the carb at idle and low speeds. The 4 hole will lessen the bad things, and give you a little more plenum area. So dpeneding on cam, compression, gearing, and convertor, go with what gives you what you need. Better response/low end = 4 hole. Better rpm potential and over all horsepower=open.

Thanks, well explained. I don't think it's the "wrong" intake...perhaps "wrong" carb with intake due to it being a Holley on Edelbrock. Extra inch helps in linkage setup.

I would try and find a carb spacer that divides the sides like the intake. It doesn't make much sense to me to run a dual plane intake if you basically make it a single plane by putting on an open spacer.

Here is a link to Edelbrock spacers, look at #8714 & #8715 they even call them "Performer".

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/install1.html

Chuck

340mopar said:
I would try and find a carb spacer that divides the sides like the intake. It doesn't make much sense to me to run a dual plane intake if you basically make it a single plane by putting on an open spacer.

Here is a link to Edelbrock spacers, look at #8714 & #8715 they even call them "Performer".

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive/install1.html

Chuck

Thanks, :headbang:

-
Back