Correct fuse sizes for 68 Barracuda

-

Neal Zimmerman

Reaction score
Hi folks. Its been a while but I am tearing back into the 68 Barracuda.
I am working on putting a better wire harness under dash. Its not a repop harness, just an uncut OEM one. But what I have run into is that all the white letters on the box that state what size fuses go in each slot have worn away pretty good, so I have no idea what fuses to load he box with. My wiring diagrams don't show this.
I have tried an image search for 68 barracuda fuse box, but results are inconsistent. I suspect I am being shown all sorts of fuse boxes.
And yes the old box that was in there is no help either. Same wear.
thanks,
Neal

upload_2022-5-30_11-3-14.png

The fuse sizes/locations are also in the owner's manual- I don't have one handy to scan for you.

The factory service manual. Go to MyMopar and download one or two or more, free. You will not get "Barracuda" specific, and you may have to settle for Dodge vs Plymouth. Fuse panels should be same. Go to section 8, right before the wiring diagrams start. Start on page 8-1 which has the index for electrical. Specifications/ charts are before the wiring diagrams, and of course the fuses are diagrammed in them. If you look underneath you can see the brass strips divided

A slight education when you are poking around. The fuse panel has THREE "busses" sort of. One is hot all the time, supplies things like brake/ tail/ parking lights and dome circuit

The second buss is "accessory," only hot with key in "run" or "accessory" Stuff like radio, heater

The last is a "trick." There is one "INST" fuse at the end, here is how it works

The headlight switch has two sources of power. One, UNfused comes off the big ammeter circuit, goes direct to the headlight switch, which has a breaker, and supplies ONLY headlights

The second source to the light switch comes off the tail/ park supply, to the switch which controls those lights AND A TAP inside the switch FEEDS TO the dash dimmer control. The variable output of that control comes OUT of the switch (on TAN) goes TO the INST fuse, where it distributes dimmer controlled lighting power on orange wires

SO THAT ONE FUSE will NOT BE hot EXCEPT:
1...If the tail supply fuse is good and that circuit works
2....If the light switch is in park or head
3....If the dash dimmer control is turned towards the left.

fusepanel.jpg

fuses.jpg

-
Back