cracked magnum heads

-

93ragtop

Reaction score
I took my heads apart. (out of a 2000 ram 5.9) cleaned them up and took them to a machinist. He said they are cracked, guides are worn, and seats are shot.
Told me I should look at the EQ heads.....
I told him they no longer make them....
For now, this is a stock motor, and will probably stay that way..... may some day change out the cam, but not likely....
What choice do I have for heads?
The only ones I can find are
Jegs brand, Promaxx CHR807N, and Edelbrock.

Its going in a 87 dakota with a edelbrock carb intake, and hei ignition.

EQ still has the 318A heads, and supposedly starting back up with the 318B heads with the LA intake pattern. The 318B heads are supposed to be from a different MFG than the New Zealand foundry that used to make them. I read all this recently on here somewhere.

Those jegs heads, whoever makes them, are definitely NOT a performance oriented head, and they are definitely not the same as the EQs..

EQ still makes the heads, but not the same New Zealand that has the reputation on here. However they do make a stock replacement that is beefed up supposedly from stock to resist cracking. When I called they said they were $395 each un-assembled PN CH318B. Hope that helps!

Rockauto.com has heads for your 2000 Ram in stock.

Their Reman company does a first class job on the rebuilding. They come with nice black plastic shipping containers that you can easily send your cores back in.

Screenshot_20200625-181920_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200625-182022_Chrome.jpg

In response to an email I received on Monday from Engine Quest, "David" informed me that the CH318B heads will become available mid July. My concern was the picture attached to the "B" version, it was not the LA intake manifold pattern. He assured me that it was just a generic picture. Yes they are no longer made in New Zealand.
Do check out EQ's "CH318A" offering for your needs.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I ordered a set of (prostar heads) for $613.74 complete, and new, to my door. If anyone is interested in pictures, let me know and I will post. suppost to get here on the 7th.

I took my heads apart. (out of a 2000 ram 5.9) cleaned them up and took them to a machinist. He said they are cracked, guides are worn, and seats are shot.
Told me I should look at the EQ heads.....
I told him they no longer make them....
For now, this is a stock motor, and will probably stay that way..... may some day change out the cam, but not likely....
What choice do I have for heads?
The only ones I can find are
Jegs brand, Promaxx CHR807N, and Edelbrock.

Its going in a 87 dakota with a edelbrock carb intake, and hei ignition.
Jegs are 179cc intake ports, that's not your stock magnum port which is 152cc..?

I went to put on some scummit VARB approved headers on my '96 1500...turns out the rear stud is broken, botched repair left it drilled out on one side the rest stuck in there that I may be just buying some JEGS eq's. Good deal and they cant possibly NOT flow more than a stock head at that port volume.
*They also have a USA tag on them*

I found that there are some based on a particular casting number, those are the reinforced version and have stock size ports.
As for the others, jegs and speed master..etc..which are 179cc intake port...
179cc is about 24cc larger than a factory 2.02 915 J head@155 and 160cc w/1.88 fwiw and based on heads I have and measured. I would think they would have to be pretty messed up to not flow more.
Also...
Hughes says "easily" and "inexpensive"

Does not say can't or will not.

They are saying they've decided they want more money, and what an opportune basis for doing so..."they changed the heads on us , uh... so... $$$$

Still, just my opinion.

Last edited:
What I found was the guides were sized for a 8mm stem, magnum valves are 5/16 if I remember correctly, so they were gonna need 16 guides and a valve job at minimum. My customer wanted to reuse his factory valves. He found a set of indyX heads instead.

When I get them, I will check the best I can at home..... I can pull a couple valves and take pictures.... Will post when I get them.
Just to be clear, these are a brand called prostar, not EQ...
The company is in Fairmont WV. and he said he has sold 5 sets and installed 2 sets himself.

What was the price quoted to install new seats where the crack is and repair the existing heads? Were the cracks affecting performance or leaking?

I never ran the motor. Had 185,000 miles on it. But he said all seats were wore out, and the valves. Said the cracks may be ok if he could get in front of it..... with the new seat. Did not price repairs, he said for a stock motor, they were not worth fixing.

did you get flows?
are the ports the same stock lengths, that would affect cc's
check the concentricticy with dykem
use valve grind compound and you can't send them back
should have better than 3 angle valve job or is that DIY or when you have them checked
are they cut for positive viton seals (do not use teflon)

did you get flows?
No
are the ports the same stock lengths, that would affect cc's
I dont know
check the concentricticy with dykem
Your way over my head now.
use valve grind compound and you can't send them back
Understood
should have better than 3 angle valve job or is that DIY or when you have them checked
are they cut for positive viton seals (do not use teflon)

I dont know

Receive date has been moved up to tomorrow. I will post pictures and hopefully get some advice.
These are supposed to be stock replacements. Im not expecting much for $613.74 to my door!!

Best I can tell, the only real high performance head for a magnum is the Edelbrock.... Everything else is custom...
But for me, thats ok, the motor is all stock.

I appreciate everyones input, and look forward to hearing more after the pictures.

Thanks to everyone for their input. I ordered a set of (prostar heads) for $613.74 complete, and new, to my door. If anyone is interested in pictures, let me know and I will post. suppost to get here on the 7th.
You will recieve a quality set of heads, it is all his shop does, he made alot of money repairing heads.
He is to go-to guy here in central WV for a stock set of heads.
He re-done the ones on my dads old powerwagon years ago, it is still running strong.

You will recieve a quality set of heads, it is all his shop does, he made alot of money repairing heads.
He is to go-to guy here in central WV for a stock set of heads.
He re-done the ones on my dads old powerwagon years ago, it is still running strong.

I had done a search on google, and he has good ratings. In fact, another member showed up in the search saying the same as you.
BTW if you dont mind me asking, what part of WV are you from? I was born and raised in a town named Hinton.... About 23 miles from Beckley.

I had done a search on google, and he has good ratings. In fact, another member showed up in the search saying the same as you.
BTW if you dont mind me asking, what part of WV are you from? I was born and raised in a town named Hinton.... About 23 miles from Beckley.
I am in Clarksburg, but I was raised in Fairmont.

-
Back