Crap!!! Not enough room for my Fan!!

-

Dustedu2

Reaction score
Got the 422 sitting in place, went to install Aluminum radiator and Flowkooler high volume water pump and my viscous fan will not fit between the water pump and the radiator. I need about 1" more of clearance. Is there an electric fan I can use and if so, do I just run the pulley on the water pump without the viscous fan? I only have about 3" between the pump and radiator.

have you tried to offset the fan to one side or the other to get away from the water pump?

I use two puller smaller electric fans which put out the required cfm of 4500 as large V-8 engines require 4500+ cfm. I have them staggered.

have you tried to offset the fan to one side or the other to get away from the water pump?
Not sure what you mean?? I don't have an electric fan yet, thats what I was thinking I may have to do since there is only 3" of clearance between the pump pulley mount and the radiator. Maybe a dual fan to split the difference? Any recommendations.

There is a Jaguar viscous drive that will buy you some clearance depending on how much you need.

Hayden # 2765

Not sure if it'll do you any good or not. One member here used one so he could fit a viscous fan on an early A. They don't have much room in front. You might try doing a search for that part number in the archives. It might bring up the thread. I have to leave right now but will try to find the thread later if you haven't found it by the time I get back.

Just got back & ran a search on Hayden 2765. It pulled up a bunch of info, including some dimensions on different clutch numbers. Just search on it & see if it helps you out.

Not sure what you mean?? I don't have an electric fan yet, thats what I was thinking I may have to do since there is only 3" of clearance between the pump pulley mount and the radiator. Maybe a dual fan to split the difference? Any recommendations.

What he means is moving the fan to the left or right, up or down, so that the thickest part of the fan is not directly lined up with the water pump snout.

I had this problem and did a couple of different things. The first kit didn't work so well with twin 12" fans..not enough coverage (or lack of shroud).

Fan1.jpg

The second kit is a MB C class fan. Pulls a stupid amount of air and covers a factory 26" radiator perfect. It draws 50 amps at start up but it is a gradual increase since it's a slow start fan. It draws and 39 amps constant when at speed (will heavily tax a stock alternator).

MBFan.jpg

We slant-6 guys run into this problem all the time, especially in the earlier A-bodies. The slant-6 is a long engine and in many cases there's just no room for an American-style clutch fan ("American-style" means the type with the clutch protruding forward of the fan blade). There is, however, a good wrecking yard solution that makes use of a European-style clutch fan -- this is the type with the clutch set into the fan blade body itself. Much thinner overall depth. See here for details. A whole whackload of '70s-'80s Mercedes used this type of fan, and they are plentiful in wrecking yards. All you have to do is make sure the one you get is meant to turn in the correct direction (clockwise as you face the front of the engine). The ones for later applications with serpentine belts are meant to turn the other way and won't work.

if you go the electric fan way you can get 1 big fan that flows good and a alum. shroud that will cool very good instead of useing 2 fans and no shroud.. i had 1 i think 16" fan and no shroud and worked ok never over 190 but i know the shroud would have keep it down more..if you dont want to buy a shroud with a little fab work you can make your own thats my plan for the next build to make my own..mike

oh by the way you can go to kmj web site they have some nice fans and kits that works ..

Why do you need to run a clutch fan?... just go back to a std 7 blade fan with that small spacer...It'll run cooler with the fixed fan anyway.

Why do you need to run a clutch fan?... just go back to a std 7 blade fan with that small spacer...It'll run cooler with the fixed fan anyway.
With a single puller 18" electric fan, my stroker kept over heating, 220+ so I bought a shroud from jegs and a much narrower electric fan, still would not fit puller fan hit the water pump, so thats when I used a 3 inch spacer and a Flex cooler plastic fan blades supposed to be good for 8000 rpm, had it in my old engine. That was the only thing that would fit, I also have the Flowcooler water pump, you also IMO need to get a high flow thermostat, I have the mr. Gasket one 180 degrees, but there are others, it's fun but at least now my engine has not gone over 190, usually runs 180 -185

I guess I thought I needed a clutch fan. I may try without one until I find something else. I may try the MB 300 class one. It's kinda like a mopar part as they were all one company at one point and time.

I had the same problem with my stroker and radiator. I used a wide-blade flex fan with a spacer. City driving, it gets about halfway on the stock gauge, on the highway, it sits at about 1/4.

I had the same problem with my 410 in my early-A.I ended up unbolting the shaft mount(too long)that bolts to the fan/pump and bolted on a samller one.Not much clearance,but worked.Good luck

-
Back