current ignition problem!!!!

-

Moreno

beginning restorer
Reaction score
ok so currently my ignition is hanging out of the dash due to the fact taht when we bought it the guy didnt want toput it i the dash yet cause he was gonna fix it, real problem...when u turn the key in the ignition the whole thing moves so it isnt being held inplace by the outer ring on the dash board, i used a example pic not my actual ignition in my dart. so when i turn the key where both the arrows in the pic are turn so it wont start unless i pop it out hold it and turn the key, went to the auto parts place he said to silicone it to the dash, idk that doesnt sound right. what do you think?
ignition.jpg

I believe your switch should have raised rails on it that slide into notches in the hole of your dash that keep it from turning. The part that has the words on it is a nut that screws down onto the shaft of the switch to keep it tight.

Not sure what year your car is but that's a basic description. Do you have a picture of it when you pop it out?

ok here it is i had the hubby take some pics of it..the one with the switch in the dash is when i does not have the cap on, just need to figure out whats wrong with the damn thing so it will stop turning.
holeignit.jpg

switchnocap.jpg

ignitionswitch.jpg

frontswitch.jpg

If it's what I think you're describing, I just had to crank down the outer ring on my cylinder really tight to get it to hold in place better. Those little notches on the inside of the outer ring can be hard to get a good hold on though. I tried some needle nose pliers and I think I ended up using a set of snap ring pliers that had the ends ground down to make them more square instead of round and it has held pretty well so far. It just has to pinch the dash hard enough to keep from turning with the key.

Map63vette ya tried that we can try again when he bring the car home after work, but idk this damn thing has me stumped.

There is a special socket similar to an antenna socked that's actually made just for that occasion. You can probably fab one from a cheap socket that's the right diameter. Just grind some corresponding tabs on the socket and tighten that pup down.

thanks stroker, unfortunately i live in a condo and its a no can do :( ill have to some up with something i sure as hell dont want to silicone it down.

A small screwdriver and a small hammer(light taps) will do it, NEVER use SILLYCONE in your car or boat.

ok ill try this tomorrow. thanks, ya the hubby told the guy im restoring the car not junking it.

I agree with the flat blade screwdriver method. You should be able to get the end of the screwdriver blade into the notch on the retaining ring and slowly tighten it down be careful to make sure that the cylinder is not turning on the back side of the dash, maybe hold it and have someone help in tightening it up. Use very small taps with a light duty hammer should allow the retaining ring to tighten down enough to snug it tight to the dash. do not overtighten or you will break the ring.

It's also fairly easy to get the bezel cross-threaded so be sure it's started correctly before you start tapping anything or you can tear it up.

Just curious, but what does living in a condo have to do with not being able to grind a channel in an old socket with a dremel or cutting wheel?

I have an HOA that doesn't allow me to work on my car, so living there I can't do that stuff nor do I have that stuff.

Yeah, it was a pain to try to get mine tight, I hear you there. I think I kind of lucked out a little in getting it to hold so far. I was at the point where I had to reach up under the dash to hold the back of the cylinder when I was turning it before. You might think about putting a little washer between the bezel and the cylinder so that you don't have to tighten it as far to get it to snug up.

-
Back