Cutting rear wheel bows (74 Dart Custom)

-

Payy

Reaction score
Hi
I currently have two problems on my Dart. The rear tires are too wide and are scrathing the inside of the wheel bows in sharp turns (yes I have already grinded away the fold on the back side). Problem number two is that my front suspension needs adjustment and none of the workshops around have the old style equipment, and the new ones don't fit the car because the wheel bow is blocking some of the rear wheels.

I was thinking, that making the rear wheel bows clear the wheels like the do on most cars would fix both my problems (also i have pretty bad rust in them that i need to take care of anyway so cutting would actually be easier than repearing)

Has anyone here done it? Do anyone have any pro's or con's I don't think about? Does anyone have pics of cars where it has been done?

So far it looks like just copying the shape of the front one would look fine without too much adjustmens

thanks

What I basicly did here was copying the front and adjust it a little to fit the rear. One problem tho, is that It's a double layer that needs to be cut, and I don't have equipment to weld it together. Would this significantly weaken the construction of the car?

Here are pics of the model, what do you think?

Attachments

• IMG_1422.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 169
No response? Did i Hit a tabu or something? :S

Anyways, I gave it a shot, the body is a rusty piece of crap anyways. I actually think it looks good with the open wheel bows. Here are some pics:

Attachments

• IMG_1457.jpg
    118.6 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_1466.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 156
Now take it to a weld shop and at least tack weld the double lip. The cut looks good.

-
Back