Cylinder head reccomendation

-

mikedevore

Reaction score
I have ported W2's on my 414 now. It currently runs 6.30 range @ 106MPH.
Thinking of updating to something else.
Any suggestions? Indy, Brodix, The new Eddy's?

Whats the deal with the W2's?

Iron oval port heads, been around a long time. No push rod pinch, offset rocker arms. The econo head used a shaft mount design while the race head used a pedestal mount. They were available in open and closed chamber, long and short valves, 48° and 59°
They're a nice cylinder head but still cast iron and old castings, I think some castings had issues but that's Mopar lol

Very cool that you want to step up on what's already a very fast car Mike :thumleft:. What are the flow numbers on your current W2's, and what are you looking to upgrade to? I know i'm not in a position to make any recommendation, but I'd love to know where you're looking to go with your combo.....for the vault :D.

If Eddy ever gets their SB Victor's in production, and some porter's get their hands on them, maybe some big power could come from those.......maybe?

I am not real up on the new stuff......BUT I am not real sure the Eddy or Brodix can do what the W2s can. I could be mistaken about that. But if I was going to do it and I had the money, I would call Indy.

from the info I've aquired after researching what direction to go after our W5 disappointment I've also heard the same about the Brodix head.... the $$$ required for the HP just isn't there. Indy heads.... also have heard of "casting issues" and after living that hell with W5's i wasn't really excited about trying it. Ebrock Super Unavailable Victors.... I find it interesting that they've had some sets of heads cast, but nothing available. I've heard some really interesting theorys as to why.... I ended up buying a W8 top end, and of course, am trying to build a short block to compliment their potential. Not for the faint of heart, and I know I could be building a big block that would be less exotic and probably more hp, but what's the fun in that! I've never had a W2 engine although I did just sell some old W2 heads i had forever. Cracked like alot of them I'd seen, but never seemed to bother them. It's funny after all these years how the W2 still seems to hold its own in the power department.

I have/had a problem with an intake port that had been ported & got into the push rod area.
Looks to have been brazed up & blended.
It developed pin holes & started sucking oil into the intake runner.
For a tempory fix, I have applied epoxy to it.
I'm very satisfied on how the engine runs. I don't have any flow numbers, as I bought the engine used.

I was just curious about updating my combo over the winter.
Thinking of just trying to get this head repaired over the winter.

As a side note, I just put the engine back together Monday night & ran it for 15-20 minutes.

removed the valve cover to inspect the repair, guess what, no oil to the shafts.
Glad I used alot of assembly lube on it.
Cometic sent me the wrong gasket! no hole for the oil galley. ****!
They sent me a gasket for a R3 block with W2 heads. It seems that the only difference in both OEM & the R3 gasket is the oil galley hole provision.
My question to them was, why not just use the one with the hole for both applications?
He didn't know why they stocked them this way.
Anyway, removed the head again last night & drilled a hole in the gasket.
They are sending me the correct gasket at no-charge.

Anyone else run into this?

I told my friend the other day, I could probably just put a big block in it & be done with it.
He talked me out of it, & its pretty cool when someone asks you if you have a 440 in it.

I have/had a problem with an intake port that had been ported & got into the push rod area.
Looks to have been brazed up & blended.
It developed pin holes & started sucking oil into the intake runner.
For a tempory fix, I have applied epoxy to it.
I'm very satisfied on how the engine runs. I don't have any flow numbers, as I bought the engine used.

I was just curious about updating my combo over the winter.
Thinking of just trying to get this head repaired over the winter.

As a side note, I just put the engine back together Monday night & ran it for 15-20 minutes.

removed the valve cover to inspect the repair, guess what, no oil to the shafts.
Glad I used alot of assembly lube on it.
Cometic sent me the wrong gasket! no hole for the oil galley. ****!
They sent me a gasket for a R3 block with W2 heads. It seems that the only difference in both OEM & the R3 gasket is the oil galley hole provision.
My question to them was, why not just use the one with the hole for both applications?
He didn't know why they stocked them this way.
Anyway, removed the head again last night & drilled a hole in the gasket.
They are sending me the correct gasket at no-charge.

Anyone else run into this?

I told my friend the other day, I could probably just put a big block in it & be done with it.
He talked me out of it, & its pretty cool when someone asks you if you have a 440 in it.

I have a hybrid Indy head deal, it's their 245 intake runner, 2.100 int. valve, my ex. port and chamber, our valve job and Ferrea valves...it should pick up power and save some weight...let me know. I also do their intake with 4500 carb mods but it's kind of expensive. You can get similar power from a 2" ported adapter as long as you have the hood clearance.
Brian

They make power.... as Brad pointed out lol

Oh I know they make some serious power. My W2 motor "should" be done this week. This is my first car build so the W2's will work for now. But if I keep in this game down the road, I WILL have W9's one day!

W2 can be made into a bad *** head.. our dragster has gone 7.20s @ almost 190 mph with a w2.. and we have a 395 that has dyno'd 810 crank hp with w2s... i know there is much better but you can go 9s pretty easy with a set of w2s

-
Back