Dakota Express?

-

MoparDaddy

Damn Right I Carry!
Reaction score
Have any of you ever heard of or seen this conversion in person before pr even done it?! I've never heard of it until a few minutes ago when I was doing random google image search! I did some online reading that says its a custom LRE conversion. Any other details would be appreciated

Attachments

• image-664636388.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 293
I never like the stacks, even on the original D series LRE's. They were one of the reasons I went for the Warlock, instead.

yea i remember when those things were new. at best it was a half assed attempt to recreat the feel of the original LRE. stacks weren't even hooked up. they really looked stupid with a tail pipe sticking out the rear of the truck. used to be a company in the magazines selling the beds. personally i don't like how the beds fit on the truckes either.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/1st-gen-dakota/15236-1992-lil-red-express-dakota.html

Rookie
Garage is empty, add now
Vehicle: 1990 Lil Red Dakota Express,2003 Neon,1999 Jeep Cherokee Sport,2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
Default RE: 1992 lil red express dakota
lil red dakota built from 90-92 by LER industries.was complete conversion or could by bed only. also built a warrior to copy warlock of old. check out tomcat's lil red dakota page on dakota web ring for pics and info.has magazine article on site as well with my 90 lil red dakota in it. one question .... how do you know yours is #5? have no #s on mine

Im sorry chuck its cool and i would drive it but what i had in mind for widow maker . Is better JMO but i never got to get her done lol

I'd like to do a side step bed on a Dak!

I would have to make the stacks work im with Joe a pipe out the back with stacks just aint right wonder what the 3.9 v6 sounds like with stacks lmao

My friend has the very first Little Red Dakota Express sold to the public, infact, its the only LE model ever made...its unrestored and he ordered it new, picked it up at the factory.....IIRC it had about 5,000 miles on it...he also bought a 78 & 79 LRT truck new, has both in unrestored condition, Johnny Lightning used & photographed his 78 to make their little 1/43rd scale diecast, his truck is on the package too :glasses7:

Attachments

• lrt.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 229
I remember when they were new as well, I might even have a dealer brochure downstairs,....I actually thought about getting one for about 4 seconds, I'm pretty sure the sides of the bed were fiberglass, It was pretty much just an apperance package,...I opted for the long bed SE when I bought mine.

View attachment sept-oct 2010 006.jpg

yea the bed had glass sides.. the bed didn't come down far enough on the sides and you could see all of the frame. it was terrible looking. thought they were a joke back then and thing they are today.

in 93 i went with the short bed 4x4 myself.. the v-6 ran pretty damn good. gas mileage sucked though.

img028.jpg

img025.jpg

yea the bed had glass sides.. the bed didn't come down far enough on the sides and you could see all of the frame. it was terrible looking. thought they were a joke back then and thing they are today.

in 93 i went with the short bed 4x4 myself.. the v-6 ran pretty damn good. gas mileage sucked though.

How do you mean "you could see the frame"? They just molded the floor around the frame?

Of all the Dakotas so far, the first generation is my favorite. The only thing I don't like about them is the very square dash. Looks far too 80's and for to cheap for my taste.
I do like the idea of a step side. The bed is too small to be a serious pick up truck (weight capacity not withstanding), but it would make a good looking sport truck. :thumbup:
Again, lose the stacks., imo.

I made one out of a 93 extended cab. Great little truck

Attachments

• 11262_1193039719455_1632272780_528632_5233960_n.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 195
How do you mean "you could see the frame"? They just molded the floor around the frame?

check out the side picture of the one posted above. see how the bed doesn't come down as far as the rest of the body.. in person i just remember seeing way too much frame and it wasn't good looking to me..

check out the side picture of the one posted above. see how the bed doesn't come down as far as the rest of the body.. in person i just remember seeing way too much frame and it wasn't good looking to me..

Ah. I see what you mean now. I didn't notice it right off in the pics, but that would definitely be noticed in person. Just cut mud and basically body drop the bed. Good fix for someone dead set on having one that doesn't care for that issue

For anyone intersted, July 12th, Evansville Indiana craigslist, they have listed a 89 red express, for $2200. Not mine, or related to in any way. Its located in Ill.

-
Back